Creating Plots the Marc Blake Way

Hey All,

Some kindly comedy comrade recommended I read How Not To Write A Sitcom, which I have studiously done...

In the book it mentions this technique for creating plots:

"A way of garnering material for plots for your characters is to do the following: write down a problem that is bothering you on an A4 piece of paper. On the next line write a realistic solution. Then on the next line write down the problem this then causes and so on."

What I was wondering is whether anyone else uses this exercise as a springboard for plot ideas? Also if there any other techniques and just generally what your chosen way to come up with stories is?

I've tried this way but rather than using my own plethora of problems I'm using the kind of things that would bother my characters.

Why not try it out on here...?

Psychoanalysis:

So tell me, Ms Chicken, what's been bothering you lately..?

Hahaha well yeah. That's part of the reason I didn't want to do my own problems. I mean who wants to grow as a person from writing a few funnies...

Although maybe the idea is that you use your own life as inspiration for the kinds of things your characters would have to deal with.

Gosh...I think I'll read that book to help me sort out my own problems. Write them down...see a solution and get it done!

Seriously, I don't use that method, but there is the tried and tested method of putting your character in what seems to be an impossible situation and getting them out if it by the end. A lot of writers get their characters from A to B by throwing things in their paths and making it very difficult for them.

If you put problems you, yourself, are having in their way, it would definitely mean you could relate to your characters, but there's surely a limit to the amount of times you could do this...unless, of course, you have so many problems, you're pockets are overflowing with worry dolls...which, I might add, are so tiny I'm constantly worrying about losing them! Not that I have any...ahem.

I, personally, have this 'What if?' thing that pops up in my head all the time. You could also ask yourself, 'How could this possibly get any worse?'. Answer that, write it down and keep adding to it to give it credibility.

Be careful not to make it a potential chore to watch...with relentless problems and unrealistic scenarios packed in. The story should still be workable/believable. Situations are funnier if you actually believe they could happen.

I think you'll get a lot of help here and a very varied response. Plus, at least you're willing to read books. I've read Robert McKee and other similar publications and have got a lot of inspiration from them.

Let's try out a scenario, I'll create a problem, you create a solution, see where it takes us...

My name is Tom, every morning at 6:30 I have a shit, trouble is I don't get up until 7:00...

Quote: RedZed333 @ August 5 2012, 4:44 PM BST

Let's try out a scenario, I'll create a problem, you create a solution, see where it takes us...

My name is Tom, every morning at 6:30 I have a shit, trouble is I don't get up until 7:00...

Tom, the solution is clear. Cork yourself with tampons up the arse. This will eliminate any seepage whilst you sleep.

I'm presuming your poop problems make having a girlfriend impossible but the female hygiene aisle is also a great pick up ground for women feeling emotionally venerable. Win, win.

Just to clarify, Zed...this is a personal problem that's bothering you and you'd like us to come up with a solution.

@Joyce thanks for sharing your ways. I'm investigating this Robert McKee. It seems all about narrative structure, which is an area I appear to be highly deficient in.

I've got the paperback, but also the Kindle version, which I prefer. I still haven't read every single page, but there is a lot of reinforcement where the art of storytelling is concerned and that really interests me. I did read another book about writing for TV, but it went on about 'Boon' all the time and I soon got bored. It did set out a good foundation, but I can't even remember the name of it now. There are so many out there. I do read reviews on these books from Amazon, but I tend to buy what I want and just take relevant advice as and when it pops up throughout the book. McKee is very 'wordy', but if you stick at it, you'll get used to him. He makes you look around you at what's already being watched. I found I was nodding and agreeing as I read, so definitely a good purchase for me anyway.

Quote: Chickenellie @ August 5 2012, 5:02 PM BST

Tom, the solution is clear. Cork yourself with tampons up the arse. This will eliminate any seepage whilst you sleep.

I'm presuming your poop problems make having a girlfriend impossible but the female hygiene aisle is also a great pick up ground for women feeling emotionally venerable. Win, win.

Firstly I don't suffer seepage whilst sleeping, I'm fully awake at the time...

Secondly, I'm not a lesbian so I don't have or need a girlfriend...

Quote: Joyce @ August 5 2012, 5:06 PM BST

Just to clarify, Zed...this is a personal problem that's bothering you and you'd like us to come up with a solution.

It's a friend of a friend...

Quote: Chickenellie @ August 5 2012, 5:11 PM BST

I'm investigating this Robert McKee.

Have a pinch of salt handy.
He's an absolute structure Nazi.

After reading other books, the Robert McKee was very hard to get into at first, but I found it easier as I got used to his way of explaining things. Yes...structure is his bag, but I've learned a lot from reading through the book. So if I fail miserably in the future, I'll be blaming him...of course.