New at the box office Page 137

'Slo mo' drug just there to put in loads of slo mo explosions? Hmm

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 20 2012, 7:21 PM BST

Probably rubbish, but has a familiar face.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/thewatch/

Was originally called 'Neighbourhood Watch' but was hastily changed after the Trayvon shooting.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 21 2012, 7:37 PM BST

Trailer for the new Judge Dredd film: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34341

:( Bit of a let down that. They took the plot of 'The Raid' and covered it in video game visuals. As much as I like Karl Urban, I don't think he'll be able to save this dog's dinner.

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 21 2012, 7:44 PM BST

'Slo mo' drug just there to put in loads of slo mo explosions? Hmm

Yeppity doodle.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 21 2012, 8:47 PM BST

:( Bit of a let down that. They took the plot of 'The Raid' and covered it in video game visuals. As much as I like Karl Urban, I don't think he'll be able to save this dog's dinner.

Yeppity doodle.

It's based on a comic, just bad timing.

I think it looks ace.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 21 2012, 8:47 PM BST

Made before The Raid.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 21 2012, 10:26 PM BST

Made before The Raid.

Nonetheless, that will be the comparison - even though that plotline has been used from The Warriors to SWAT.

As an original Judge Dredd fan (2000AD), there is a wealth of material they could have drawn on for a new film, but this looks like a blandly generic action movie.

And just to add a bit of controversy, the production design, costumes and music of the first Judge Dredd film seem far superior to what I've seen in the trailer.

Not confident in this.

'The Dark Night Rises' was a great end to Nolan's tilogy; very much felt the influence of his previous film, Inception, in it's huge scale and sweep. It didn't get me in the same way as The Dark Knight, but then you can't beat The Joker.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 21 2012, 11:07 PM BST

Nonetheless, that will be the comparison -

For critics and a few action nerds.

Cool. Seeing it Wednesday hopefully.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 21 2012, 7:37 PM BST

Trailer for the new Judge Dredd film: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34341

Oh dear.

It bored me after 2 minutes.

Can nobody get Judge Dredds UK sensibility

Quote: sootyj @ July 21 2012, 8:52 PM BST

Oh dear.

It bored me after 2 minutes.

Can nobody get Judge Dredds UK sensibility

It's had decent reviews. I think it is a brit writer, with the original Dredd creator on board too. Can't be as pants as the Stallone one at least!

From what I've read, due to lack of money, they've started small, with the hope that if it does well enough, to be able to expand the world.

Well then I hope the trailer is significantly worse than the actual movie.

Man Of Steel teaser trailer.

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 21 2012, 9:56 PM BST

Man Of Steel teaser trailer.

Curious teaser. The little flying bit is cool though.

Ooh I should check this thread more often as I go to the cinema every week if I can. Just thought I'd share something from yesterday which may be of interest.

I got to go to a screenwriting masterclass on Saturday. A friend had a ticket for £2.50 and offered it to me so I was back at the Empire Leicester Square again (The Funny's Funny final was on there on Friday night - also good).

Anyway, the speakers etc were excellent and we got to see a 'mystery' premiere. They only told us as they showed it so it could have been awful but was excellent.

The Imposter which I understand is out next month having done well in the festivals.

I highly recommend it to anyone who loves cinema. They described it as a documentary/ thriller/ film noir

I don’t want to give too much away but some is revealed anyway from the title and opening moments. In the 1980’s a 13 year old boy goes missing from his home in Texas, presumed abducted/ dead. 4 years later a 23 yr old French man in Spain who is posing as a teenager in trouble gets taken into care. Because he needs a new identity he randomly says he’s the missing boy. He gets taken to the USA and welcomed home by the family... An odd situation all round.

It reminded me a bit in tone of Catfish, the documentary about the guy who was following an artist on facebook and got taken in by what can only be described as a mad woman. Another documentary film I loved!

The Imposter is shown as a mixture of interviews with the ‘boy’ and the ‘family’ and re-enactments. There’s also an excellent ‘cameo’ by the PI who comes into it in the later part of the film and he provides some of the much needed darkly humourous moments, about ears amongst other things.

Without wanting to give it away it keeps you intrigued right up to the end and really pulls you into The Imposter’s world – having you angry with him one moment and sympathetic the next.

Bart Layton made the film and was there for the Q&A but I won’t say anymore now as it will give you too many clues.

Just go see it if you can!

:)

Any car chases?

:) At one point he escapes and they catch up with him in a car. Does that count?

And if that's what floats your boat I did see The Machinest last night and Senna just now - they have a few for you. I need to see a nice rom com now to balance it out a bit.