Funniest British and Irish Comedians of all Time

List of the best comedians from the UK and Ireland. Please vote, rerank and add lots of your own suggestions.

http://www.ranker.com/list/funniest-british-and-irish-comedians-of-all-time/laurence

At the time of writing there are currently 65 people listed, and you can either vote up or down any person on the list. The reason Ricky Gervais has so many votes compared to others is because he tweeted the link asking his followers to vote for him.

Any glaring omissions?

I didn't start it but I'm trying to make the list as comprehensive as possible so feel free to add any worthwile comedians from the UK and Ireland who have been neglected.

There doesn't seem to be Victoria Wood, Jennifer Saunders or Dawn French. Or Miranda.

Also, Karl Pilkington isn't a comedian.

How Ricky Gervais is number one COMEDIAN is awful, and agree with Gary, if Karl Pilkington is classed as a comedian then there are lots of funny people to add to list who may not be comedians. Also people like Rob Brydon, David Mitchell and Stephen Merchant really shouldn't be in top 10. They are being voted for because of their other TV work rather than stand-up ablility.

When I looked at it, they didn't actually mention the words 'stand up' at all.

Glaring omissions? Tommy Tiernan.

Dylan Moran should be way higher.

I love Charlie Brooker but he's hardly a comedian.

Simon Munnery should be at or near the top.

Shouldn't it be the funniest comedians of the last decade? That would be more apt but I expected Eddie Izzard to be higher and Jimmy Carr no. 3? Also where was Frank Skinner, David Badiel and Jack Dee, some of the funniest and best ad-libbers out there overlooked, although I'm glad Rik Mayall got a mention on a personal note.

Oh ok Jack Dee did get a mention, my mistake. I must need new glasses :S

What a half-arsed list. And Gerbil actually cares about winning this?!

Well in as much as he posted one link to it, weeks ago.

Only Irish ones of note being S'the way R tell um, Frank Carson & Dave Allen (Absolute legend- stood on stage, fag in one hand , whisky in the other- berating religion politics and everything else), I am not putting up Jimmy Cricket although when I was a kid he made me laugh.

Too many to list in the Brits category

Bit of a waste of time, lists like this. They always end up being too contemporary because people are crap. Dave Allen and Billy Connolly not being in the top five is a disgrace.

A lot of the votes further down seem to be for actors known in comic roles rather than actual 'comics' e.g. Roger Lloyd Pack, Mark Heap

I think Eddie Izzard is simply brilliant and really don't get it how is he not in the top 5. Billy Connolly as well.

Harry Hill - minus 4 - He's going to be rather annoyed.

Why do we have to rank stuff?

This isn't the school playground (unless you are reading this in a school playground then carry on).

If it was I'd say Samantha Quinn, Robyn Gorstridge and Claire Sommers were the fittest girls in our year.

Seeing as I'm past all that (I am not past all that) I'd say Michael Redmond, Lager Tops and the wife (seriously) Ha Ha!