South Park - Ever broken the script down?

I have had this debate with a lot of people who find this show really annoying and some who simply love it. I think it's often overlooked for so many reasons. Does anyone agree here? Obviously at first punt and first view it's just a cartoon but some of these ideas and the underlining backbone principles of each episode I find pretty well scripted and how each view is delivered by picking certain characters to express. It's clear there is a very strong message in each episode and sometimes I sort of think that only the analytical audiences get this whereas the rest are just enjoying the action.

I agree already that I'm waffling on here!!!! :)

Any views?

I don't think it's overlooked. It savages its targets pretty clearly.

In my opinion way funnier and more watchable than The Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama etc. (Although those all have their good points too.)

They don't even give themselves time to break the script down, each episode is created within SIX DAYS.

http://www.governmentattic.org/docs/FCC_Complaints_South-Park_2004-07.pdf

I think it's brilliant. Far more clever and funny than say Family Guy. I also love how they take equal pot-shots at both the left and the right. In my opinion that's what the really best satire does.

I think it's different from most animations because its just a massive satire, more of a satire then any other show. Mainly because it takes like a couple weeks to make an episode. But also because it's more edgy and can take more risks then most more 'domestic' cartoons.

I like the fat one

Quote: Jowan Mounsey @ April 8 2012, 11:46 AM BST

I think it's different from most animations because its just a massive satire, more of a satire then any other show. Mainly because it takes like a couple weeks to make an episode. But also because it's more edgy and can take more risks then most more 'domestic' cartoons.

It's 'edgier' because it's made for cable (Comedy Central), which does not have to pander to conservative public mores. Trey Parker has said his smartest decision was refusing an offer of more money in the early years to switch to one of the big networks (NBC, ABC, CBS or Fox). Staying with Comedy Central has meant there has been no interference (apart from censoring Muhammad in Cartoon Wars and initially refusing to re-run the Tom Cruise Trapped in the Closet episode).

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ April 8 2012, 12:50 PM BST

I like the fat one

We all know what you like, sinophile.

it also wins because, somehow, they manage to get the people they are attacking to take part. I.e. the music piracy episode which totally ripped apart metallica yet they got metallica to voice their own characters.

Quote: andy hardaker @ April 9 2012, 10:11 AM BST

it also wins because, somehow, they manage to get the people they are attacking to take part. I.e. the music piracy episode which totally ripped apart metallica yet they got metallica to voice their own characters.

The only time an actual member of Metallica performed on South Park was when James Hetfield sang, uncredited, the Hell Isn't Good song for the South Park movie. The band did not provide voices for the Christian Rock Hard episode. However, South Park did manage to get God to voice his own character in the episode Are You There, God? It's Me, Jesus.

I'll just get me coat.