My first stand up

Hey guys,

I organised a comedy night on Tuesday and I filmed the whole lot. It was my first time up on stage and I played the role of 'MC' so my material is a bit all over the place as I have cut to just the bits of me for your critique.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AECPAkfQiYQ

Alastair

Have a look in the "Performance" section for plenty of advice, generally you need to stop pacing and look more confident, try to stop signposting jokes by moving the mic away from your mouth and clearly waiting for the laugh.

To be honest, I'm never quite sure what new acts hope to achieve by posting up videos of their early gigs, when you are new you just need to gig as much as you can, you improve through experience, by all means video yourself and watch it back to learn what you need to improve but showing the world your initial gigs seems counterproductive to me.

Get out there and gig, gig, gig, would be my advice and try to gig at quality comedy nights, it's easy to become a big fish on the open mic circuit but measure yourself up against top, top headliners, that's who you should be aiming to be as good as.

Lastly the "fat people, they've enough on their plates" joke is very similar to one of Jimmy Carr's or possibly a Gary Delaney gag, definitely heard it before.

I raised a smile at the boyfriend material line, but not at anything else. It was all wishy washy material about students you can find in any other "my first" routines. Post another video after gig 100.

I liked the Birghton and Facebook bit and you dealt really well with jokes that didnt land, just carried on naturally. The other stuff does have something just needs more polishing. For example the rabbit joke punch took to long to get to. But keep on going and good luck.