Novice SOS

Hello and Help!
I have the material, the talent, the characters, the theme, the stories, the comedy, the insight, the the the the the everything..... all in my HEAD. How do I get this onto paper? Where do I start? Is there a template for dummies? I have no training, no experience, so I really need some back to basics advice. Thank you x

Sounds like you have everything you need.
Start writing it.

wayne, when I write I know how I want the scene to come across, feel like I am writing more side notes and directions than actual dialogue.. I am slow at typing which sort of kills the moment when I'm feeling creative, so I end up with pages of hand written scribble.. how do I decide if my work is better suited for a stage play or a sitcom or a book... all I know is it's funny, it's true and I lived it...
thank you for taking trouble to respond anyway

wayne, when I write I know how I want the scene to come across, feel like I am writing more side notes and directions than actual dialogue.. I am slow at typing which sort of kills the moment when I'm feeling creative, so I end up with pages of hand written scribble.. how do I decide if my work is better suited for a stage play or a sitcom or a book... all I know is it's funny, it's true and I lived it...

Just write everything down on your laptop or pc. The more you write the quicker you get. I only use one finger (!!!)but can whizz around the keyboard. Then you can edit chunks about more. just start doing it.

Quote: gift of the gabby @ March 9 2012, 4:44 PM GMT

I'm very slow at typing too. If it helps get your story plan sorted first then break up the writing into scenes and do it bit by bit.
Don't try and write the whole thing straight off... I tried it and it didn't seem to work.
Write the summary first, break that into scenes and go from there. As you write it it may alter but that's interesting in itself.

Thank you Chappers, Thank you Wayne..
Ok .. I'll keep going, feeling encouraged.

It is trite, but I'd say just start writing. Different people seem to do it different ways. If I'm starting something new, I tend to blunder into it and start writing things, then start to tidy it all up a bit later.

I think the point is, there's no 'correct' way to do this, if you're just starting out you may find it easier to just start, you may find it easier to plan out every scene and plot point.

the key thing is to make sure you're having fun, try different ways, see what you enjoy more.

Good luck, it's a right laugh when you get into it.

Thanks Trinder...so far the 'just start' option mutates into 'just eat'...or 'just sit', 'just think'
So I am teething my way through the scene by scene, and plot point.
All of you, thanks.

The most widespread personality trait among writers is procrastination.

So I'd say you're a natural!

You're on the right track, I can't think of a writer who didn't eat..I'm eating now, and I'm barely a writer

Another good thing would be to have a go at Script Frenzy. It disciplines to write even though you feel you might have nothing to say.

OK it's official... secondary education was wasted on me!
Finally got my head around Scrpt Frenzy! Thank you for the pointer..
Appreciated.

when I write I know how I want the scene to come across, feel like I am writing more side notes and directions than actual dialogue.. I am slow at typing which sort of kills the moment when I'm feeling creative, so I end up with pages of hand written scribble.. how do I decide if my work is better suited for a stage play or a sitcom or a book... all I know is it's funny, it's true and I lived it...

Get hold of some scripts and read them is a good place to start, Writersroom at the BBC has a number up and you can buy collections of various sitcom scripts. The main thing is to keep all those side notes out of the script. You don;t want an authorial voice present in a script talking to the director. Keep stage directions to a minimum and don't use camera movements or shots etc for the same reason. The fun with writing is in the re-writing so as others have indicated get something down and written. And have fun with it! :)

how do I decide if my work is better suited for a stage play or a sitcom or a book...

Forget sitcom, every Tom, Dick and Harry does that despite the fact that genuine opportunities are few and far between, and concentrate on screenplays, stageplays or books.

Another productive day...
.... did you know that 'Smirch Bug Eyed Idiot' is an anagram for British Comedy Guide
..... oh.. and... 'Drab Scholar Lingerie' is an anagram of my name....Hey!

.....productive day ....... MY ARSE!

Thank you everyone for helpful tips and advice.
Alas, I am a lost cause (and presently... quite pissed ..)