Character writing

Hi guys!This has probably been answered somewhere but I can't find it in how to write scripts etc.
How do I show a character's tone of voice or mood in a script so that the reader knows how the dialogue is supposed to becoming across?
I have looked at examples but they only show established characters. I know how they are meant to sound from already watching the shows.

Quote: Mezz @ March 12 2012, 11:51 AM GMT

Hi guys!This has probably been answered somewhere but I can't find it in how to write scripts etc.
How do I show a character's tone of voice or mood in a script so that the reader knows how the dialogue is supposed to becoming across?
I have looked at examples but they only show established characters. I know how they are meant to sound from already watching the shows.

A character's "tone" is established by their dialogue and actions. Unless you're talking about literal tone, in which case you could maybe get away with something like "robotic" or "squeaky" in the parenthesis of their first line of dialogue. Better to have that tone come across in their manner of speech though - for instance, reading Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory's dialogue, it's pretty obvious he's not going to sound like Woody from Cheers. Show, don't tell.

I think the key to this is attitude. What attitude does your character have?... and that should dictate the dialogue. Old example but... say Grant from Eastenders.

GRANT:
Give us a pint, Nina!

NINA:
And what's the magic word?

GRANT:
Lager.

It's not the words so much as the attitude behind them that brings the character to life.

Hi! Relax! The director and the actors playing your characters will do this bit for you! They'll will read the whole script, decide how he/she sees their character and what their "motivation" is behind each line. In rehearsals, the actors discuss and try out different ways of playing the scene (trying "who is the person in the scene the others look up to most" or "is this character popular with the others?" for example) whilst the director keeps an overview of what the whole script is trying to say and guides the cast towards getting that story over clearly.

Hope this helps,
Kate :)

Well the motivation in the example above is that he wanted a pint of lager :)

But seriously what you are talking about Kate is when a script has been written, re-written etc to get to a shooting stage and then actors and directors come on board. Character is a vital part of a script and should come across long before actors get hold of it. If a script is unsolicited it has to get past the first reader first - which means character should be leaping out from the dialogue.

Also I think what you describe in the actors approach is more to do with Theatre??

An ancent trick is to write a page of dialogue with no characters names.

And see if a reader can tell whose who?

Quote: Marc P @ March 16 2012, 4:01 PM GMT

Well the motivation in the example above is that he wanted a pint of lager :)

But seriously what you are talking about Kate is when a script has been written, re-written etc to get to a shooting stage and then actors and directors come on board. Character is a vital part of a script and should come across long before actors get hold of it. If a script is unsolicited it has to get past the first reader first - which means character should be leaping out from the dialogue.

Also I think what you describe in the actors approach is more to do with Theatre??

Yup, that's a theatre way of working, that what I know about. I totally agree with what you say, I was just trying to expand on the advice already given, not replace it or contradict it.

PS. I thought your lager example was ace!

Quote: Katie P @ March 16 2012, 7:34 PM GMT

Yup, that's a theatre way of working, that what I know about. I totally agree with what you say, I was just trying to expand on the advice already given, not replace it or contradict it.

PS. I thought your lager example was ace!

:D

Welcome aboard then ;)