RIP Davy Jones Page 3

Quote: Martin Caine @ March 1 2012, 5:13 PM GMT

As for the comment "if it wasn't for the monkees the bealtes would never of existed". The Monkees were only formed to cash in on the success of The Beatles!

I'd imagine that was a joke.

Quote: Tim Azure @ March 1 2012, 11:31 AM GMT

The Monkees were in fact an American rip-off/take off of the Beatles, just like the Rutles. RIP Davy Jones.

Weren't The Rutles a parody act? The Monkees were not.

On this Beatles / Monkees debate . . .

Don't know how many of you were around at the time but it seemed to me that the time line is interesting.

The Beatles arrived in the USA in 1964 and played their last concert (excluding the roof)in 1966, the year The Monkees came together.

My view is that America spotted a void in the market with The Beatles retreating to the studio and filled it with The Monkees.

Let's face it, The Monkees wouldn't have happened spontaneously. They were neither a tribute band nor a spoof band. To paraphrase a phrase that I hate, they were what they were.

That said, I do like their music.

Sorry for the Monkees?Beatles Joke
It wasn't meant to be flippant, just affectionate.
Two of my favourite bands.

And loved the show when I was young.

Quote: Oldrocker @ March 1 2012, 9:15 PM GMT

My view is that America spotted a void in the market with The Beatles retreating to the studio and filled it with The Monkees.

Let's face it, The Monkees wouldn't have happened spontaneously. They were neither a tribute band nor a spoof band. To paraphrase a phrase that I hate, they were what they were.

This is a widely known fact. Well, I thought it was anyway. Yes, producers in the US saw how big The Beatles were and wanted to put together an American version. Auditions were held, as they were with Take That/Boyzone etc. nowadays and The Monkees were born. They hardly contributed to the writing or playing of 'their' music (apart from the vocals) until their third album, Headquarters, by which time it had become a cause of frustration for most of the members of the band. From that album the band played and sung on all the records until they finally spilt in '69/70. They started as a manufactured band but ended up earning the respect of The Beatles and Jimmy Hendrix (who was booed off stage when he supported them) amongst others, who they were great friends with.

No, The Monkees wouldn't have spontaneously happened, but I'm glad it did.

I'm not having a go at you Oldrocker btw, please don't feel I'm saying all this to you specifically.

They outsold the Beatles & the Stones put together in America one year IIRC

Quote: Nil Putters @ March 1 2012, 9:28 PM GMT

I'm not having a go at you Oldrocker btw, please don't feel I'm saying all this to you specifically.

Not at all Putters Ode Pal !

:D

Quote: Nil Putters @ March 1 2012, 9:28 PM GMT

This is a widely known fact. Well, I thought it was anyway. Yes, producers in the US saw how big The Beatles were and wanted to put together an American version.

Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Peter Tork, and Michael Nesmith were all actors employed to make the TV show 'The Monkees' and if it wasn't for The Beatles movie 'A Hard Days Night' the show and The Monkees would never have happened. Dolenz didn't even learn to play the drums until after he got the part in the show. It was only once the show was successful that the four fought for the right to perform as a band under the name 'The Monkees' that Davy Jones and Mick Dolenz started writing their own material

Tork and Nesmith were musicians from the start a both submitted songs and wanted to play from the start, but you're right about Dolenz learning the drums.

*gives up on thread*

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ March 1 2012, 9:30 PM GMT

They outsold the Beatles & the Stones put together in America one year IIRC

They were on the telly every week and they were still based on the Beatles. Their first single "Last train to Clarksville" was inspired by the Beatles' song "Paperback writer".

Girl, I don't want to fight.
I'm a little bit wrong, you're a little bit right.
I said girl, you know that it's true,
It's a little bit me, and it's a little bit you,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaxwBSyiya8&feature=related

Quote: Martin Caine @ March 2 2012, 11:41 AM GMT

Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Peter Tork, and Michael Nesmith were all actors employed to make the TV show 'The Monkees' and if it wasn't for The Beatles movie 'A Hard Days Night' the show and The Monkees would never have happened.

I always assumed it was Help! was more an inspiration.

Quote: Safdar Shah @ March 2 2012, 7:07 PM GMT

They were on the telly every week and they were still based on the Beatles. Their first single "Last train to Clarksville" was inspired by the Beatles' song "Paperback writer".

Yes, no one is saying that they weren't inspired by The Beatles, they were the very reason they came into being.

Quote: Timbo @ March 2 2012, 8:04 PM GMT

I always assumed it was Help! was more an inspiration.

Mmmm now you've said that I'm thinking you could be right I guess it would be down to the timeline Errr

Not for the first time, a Steve Sunshine joke has a lot to answer for.