Help.

i'm having some trouble trying to find my first open mic gig I'm from the salisbury/wiltshire and even the surrounding areas seem pretty dry on the whole open mic thing if anyone can offer aid it would be much appreciated.

Try Martin at http://www.moonrakerscomedy.com/, he runs a gig in Devizes and some other one offs in Wiltshire.

Salisbury has a few gigs but they are mostly pro-nights.

Southampton and Portsmouth are probably your best bet, do a Google search, I know there's a club called "Banter Comedy" in Havant which may have open spots.

Also get yourself on the Mirth Control email list, they have gigs all over the UK but a lot of them are in the Wiltshire/Hampshire area.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

The Victoria
88 Victoria Road
Swindon
Wiltshire
SN1 3BD
01793 535713 thevicswindon@aol.com

think it may be open spots with a few under their belt on the pro headline nights though. Roger Monkhouse is on this week, he mc-ed my first proper open spot and was dead nice to me when I was nervous backstage.

Apparently there's a music open mic night each week, but comics are welcome to fill a spot.

It looks like some rock bar music type place, I live on the other side of the solar system but I would love to do a place like that. Crowds who know good music tend to like the best kind of comedy.

email the venue and see what's what, in the meantime keep working on your set, so your prepared for short notice of one that comes up.

Quote: JackDaniels2 @ March 1 2012, 3:28 AM GMT

The Victoria
88 Victoria Road
Swindon
Wiltshire
SN1 3BD
01793 535713 thevicswindon@aol.com

think it may be open spots with a few under their belt on the pro headline nights though. Roger Monkhouse is on this week, he mc-ed my first proper open spot and was dead nice to me when I was nervous backstage.

Apparently there's a music open mic night each week, but comics are welcome to fill a spot.

It looks like some rock bar music type place, I live on the other side of the solar system but I would love to do a place like that. Crowds who know good music tend to like the best kind of comedy.

email the venue and see what's what, in the meantime keep working on your set, so your prepared for short notice of one that comes up.

The comedy night is booked by Mirth Control so you'll need to get in touch with them to get an open spot, http://www.mirthcontrol.org.uk/

It's bit further away (Bath) but still within a reasonable distance if you're keen? https://www.facebook.com/events/228475503914985/

I thought the likely answer would be that I had to travel just thought id test the water. The devizes area seems quite keen on the comedy scene so ill send some enquires that way. thanks for the help ill let you all know how I get on with my quest for the illusive first gig.

hi, any further advice would be great I still haven't tracked anything down, doesn't seem to be many new new act nights about or im just not looking in the right places?

cheers, Ben.

Hi there.
If you are still looking for an open mic. There is one on the 27th of May at Conrans Irish bar in salisbury.
This is the first comedy open mic night in Salisbury and is open to everyone. It is free to enter and take part. Sign Ups are at 6.30. If you want anymore information do get in touch.

Quote: An Optimistic Pessimist @ May 8 2012, 6:21 PM BST

Hi there.
If you are still looking for an open mic. There is one on the 27th of May at Conrans Irish bar in salisbury.
This is the first comedy open mic night in Salisbury and is open to everyone. It is free to enter and take part. Sign Ups are at 6.30. If you want anymore information do get in touch.

really that sounds great, ill have to give that a try thank you for the heads up.

No problems. Hopefuly if it is a good event it will become a regular thing. Salisbury needs a little comedy. Need anything else let me know I'm hosting that night

Yea that's definatley true loads of music ones but no comedy, is it a 5 minute spot?

That was my thinking begin the whole event. I have done a slot or two at the ale house but I was the only one there not playing music.

Yep. Single acts get 5 minutes and groups get 10. Although depending on attendance I may let singles go for 6-7 minutes but that I'll decide on the night.