Romantic Comedy Novel Writing Competition UK

I want to let you know about a writing competition I'm running in association with Avon UK (HarperCollins) and Simon and Schuster UK.

Novelicious.com are looking for entries of the first 3000 words of a contemporary women's fiction novel before April 3rd. The top 20 entries will be showcased on the site during May and put to a public vote to decide the People's Choice award winner.

Prizes include tea and cakes with a commissioning editor at Avon Books (home of Miranda Dickinson, Trisha Ashley, etc), manuscript critique with Simon and Schuster UK (authors include Milly Johnson and Jane Costello), a Kindle, and various writing gifts.

Full details can be found at http://www.novelicious.com/noveliciousundiscovered2012.html

Cheers for reading

Kirsty Greenwood

Editor Novelicious.com

Just to clear this up for people who may come to this later. This is not really a comedy novel writing competition, it's a Women's Literature writing competition. That it may have comic facets is at the discretion of the writer, but not necessarily what's being sought.

We're looking for ROMANTIC Comedy, which is clear in the post. Comedy novels with a stong romantic thread, yes. But the comedy part is important and is what is being sought.

Many thanks for your reply.

Okay. Just, the word 'comedy' or 'humour' does not appear once in the competition website. It sounds as though they're just looking for chick-lit.

Quote: SeanMorleyIV @ February 24 2012, 5:28 PM GMT

Okay. Just, the word 'comedy' or 'humour' does not appear once in the competition website. It sounds as though they're just looking for chick-lit.

Does it really matter? It seems like a genuine opportunity and one that someone here might be able to use.

Oh Well I can dream? really tough to comedianiase current politics, will try but cannot think at the moment>

Quote: crake @ February 25 2012, 11:54 PM GMT

Does it really matter? It seems like a genuine opportunity and one that someone here might be able to use.

I don't know if you've just crawled out of a discarded packet of wotsits or are just here to make up numbers, but this is website seems to have a strong comedy theme. So the writers are probably going to associate themselves heavily with that genre. If this competition actually wants a romantic drama with comedy elements, it should be made clear so writer's don't spend AGES writing something at cross purposes to the competition's actual intentions.

If you think it's important I stop doing that in case it puts someone off then you've become a unique hybrid of 'mad' and 'wrong'.

Quote: SeanMorleyIV @ February 27 2012, 12:45 AM GMT

I don't know if you've just crawled out of a discarded packet of wotsits or are just here to make up numbers, but this is website seems to have a strong comedy theme. So the writers are probably going to associate themselves heavily with that genre. If this competition actually wants a romantic drama with comedy elements, it should be made clear so writer's don't spend AGES writing something at cross purposes to the competition's actual intentions.

If you think it's important I stop doing that in case it puts someone off then you've become a unique hybrid of 'mad' and 'wrong'.

The people organising the competition have labelled this thread "COMEDY WRITING NOVEL COMPETITION">

Quote: Kirsty @ February 24 2012, 3:46 PM GMT

We're looking for ROMANTIC Comedy, which is clear in the post. Comedy novels with a stong romantic thread, yes. But the comedy part is important and is what is being sought.

Many thanks for your reply.

And reiterated it here.

What part of Comedy Writing do you not understand?

Quote: SeanMorleyIV @ February 27 2012, 12:45 AM GMT

[insert 'mong' joke here]

Hah. I didn't notice that in her signoff it identifies her as the editor.
Well that's me told. But by me. I told me. Me.