Is cyber stalking a real problem? Page 17

One of the things I like about message boards is that you meet people of all ages and persuasions. For those of us who (try to) write, this is a boon - finding out how other people's minds and instincts work. The last thing we should be doing is trying to turn other posters into clones of ourselves. Very limiting.

Quote: keewik @ February 12 2012, 4:54 PM GMT

The last thing we should be doing is trying to turn other posters into clones of ourselves.

WE AGREE

Quote: Rob H @ February 12 2012, 1:50 PM GMT

dellas, don't take it to heart. I think you're worrying far too much about stuff which probably doesn't exist and is best ignored if it does.

Maybe Dellas is more concerned about the absence of debate of the original topic than anything else.

As for your casual dismissal of cyber stalkers as ; " probably doesn't exist and is best ignored if it does" I would contest both assertions but would at least agree that they both are bang on topic.

In keeping with the direction the thread has taken we too could have just ignored the question and waggled our willies while exclaiming; "whoo hoo!" thus subscribing to the more gullible of cyber worlds pseudo-religious belief that popularity always exceeds relevance.

Meanwhile back in the Real World...cyber stalkers do cause genuine distress to people, that's a fact. The only questions I have is who gets freaked out with such things, why, and what can be done about it.

Quote: Allan OB @ February 12 2012, 4:59 PM GMT

Maybe Dellas is more concerned about the abscence of debate of the original topic than anything else.

As for your casual dismissal of cyber stalkers as ; " probably doesn't exist and is best ignored if it does" I would contest both assertions but would at least agree that they both are bang on topic.

In keeping with the direction the thread has taken we too could have just ignored the question and waggled our willies while exclaiming; "whoo hoo!" thus subscribing to the cyber worlds psuedo-religious belief that popularity always exceeds relevance.

Meanwhile back in the Real World...cyber stalkers do cause genuine distress to people, that's a fact. The only questions I have is who gets freaked out with such things, why, and what can be done about it.

Actually, I wasn't on topic. I was referring to the perceived misogyny of some of the other posters, and trying to give dellas a bit of advice. *shrugs*

Of course cyber-stalking is a real problem. I would advocate that it's not a common enough problem to merit avoidance of the internet, as long as one uses said it with a modicum of common sense.

Quote: Allan OB @ February 12 2012, 4:59 PM GMT

Maybe Dellas is more concerned about the absence of debate of the original topic than anything else.

In keeping with the direction the thread has taken we too could have just ignored the question and waggled our willies while exclaiming; "whoo hoo!" thus subscribing to the more gullible of cyber worlds pseudo-religious belief that popularity always exceeds relevance.

Oh dear might I suggest you read the early posts in this thread.

Dellas asked a question and got some fairly sensible answers.

I think it's the growing hystrionic reaction that was catnip to the cats. Certainly if my skin was thinner I'd have confused her responses as amusing rather than tragi=comic.

Oh and if you keep banging on about willy waving you're gonna give the impression it's something you hope to see.

Quote: Rob H @ February 12 2012, 5:05 PM GMT

Actually, I wasn't on topic. I was referring to the perceived misogyny of some of the other posters, and trying to give dellas a bit of advice. *shrugs*

Of course cyber-stalking is a real problem. I would advocate that it's not a common enough problem to merit avoidance of the internet, as long as one uses said it with a modicum of common sense.

I agree that Trolling is not common, but those of us who have longer online experience could maybe be a wee bit more reassuring towards them who don't have as much knowledge about them things.

Trolls are nasty wee buggers who deliberately target those who are relatively new to social networking sites such as this one. Because the rest of us aren't new to the internet experience doesn't necessarily mean we can't show a wee bit of understanding for the genuine stress experienced sometimes by those who have joined the community more recently.

We were all naive newbie's at some point. Angelic

There is a troll around here.

I feel sorry for the poor sod as I suspect he isn't getting all that much attention. What with all the genuinely, heartfelt, idiocy flying around.

*pops head into thread out of curiosity, backs away slowly and carefully*

Quote: sootyj @ February 12 2012, 5:13 PM GMT

Oh dear might I suggest you read the early posts in this thread.

Dellas asked a question and got some fairly sensible answers.

I think it's the growing hystrionic reaction that was catnip to the cats. Certainly if my skin was thinner I'd have confused her responses as amusing rather than tragi=comic.

Oh and if you keep banging on about willy waving you're gonna give the impression it's something you hope to see.

I read all the posts...and everyone else who did would surely agree that there was an awfy lot of comments sucking the thread into an off-topic black hole. So I reckon those who have mentioned this are making a fair point even though we just have to accept such things happen.

PS - Whenever I refer to attention-seeking irrelevant interruptions as "willy waggling", I'm assuming most people will get the point. You may put any homophobic interpretation on it as you see fit. I'm just gonna trust our dear readers to have the intelligence enough to draw their own conclusions. Whistling nnocently

If you compare this thread to any other in the General forum, you'll see that the number of posts addressing the original question and the number of posts not are the same as on any other thread. There were a perfectly respectable amount that addressed the point.
One really shouldn't expect anything more!
If you were to make a thread here and not get the exact response you wanted, there are hundreds of other boards on the internet where you could try again until you get the response you are looking for. Boards even specifically about online safety and things.
That's what I would do. There's no reason this should be the only board you visit online.

Quote: Allan OB @ February 12 2012, 5:49 PM GMT

I read all the posts...and everyone else who did would surely agree that there was an awfy lot of comments sucking the thread into an off-topic black hole.

One of the wonderful things about the internet is this can stay a diference of opinion.

Quote: Allan OB @ February 12 2012, 5:49 PM GMT

You may put any homophobic interpretation on it as you see fit.

Homophobic would imply I negatively judge you for apparently wanting to see penises in motion.

I don't, it's a beautiful rainbow and up it's upto you if you wish to reach for it,

If you wish to wave willies, please feel free. Geek

Quote: keewik @ February 12 2012, 4:54 PM GMT

The last thing we should be doing is trying to turn other posters into clones of ourselves. Very limiting.

Hear, hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nGrYEFG6Ho

Quote: Rooface @ February 12 2012, 6:13 PM GMT

If you wish to wave willies, please feel free. Geek

www.meatspin.com

NSFW :D