Stand Up

Here's a new sketch I just wrote. What do you think?

INT. RADIO STUDIO.

A RADIO HOST (CHUBBERS) IS HOSTING HIS SHOW

CHUBERS:

Alright you're listening to me Chubbers on TURNIP Radio. Today we're talking to people about their ambitions. On the line now we have Andy who, it says here, dreams of doing stand up. Hello Andy?

ANDY:

Hello.

CHUBBERS:

How long have you been interested in stand up?

ANDY:

Ever since I can remember I've imagined doing it.

CHUBBERS:

Right. And what does your family think about this?

ANDY:

They believe I can do anything I set my mind on.

CHUBBERS:

That's nice of them, supportive. Now, you thought that you was just going to talk about your dream, but we've got a surprise for you.

ANDY:

(EXCITED)

Oh!

CHUBBERS:

We've arranged for top British comedian Larry Laughs to give you a crash course in stand up comedy before taking you to one of London's top comedy clubs were you'll perform material that Larry has written especially for you in front of 200 people! What do you have to say about that Andy?

SILENCE

CHUBBERS:

Andy?

LONG PAUSE

ANDY:

How's that going to help me stand up? I'm in a wheelchair.

haha very good, I didn't see it coming but then again, I'm pretty slow. Nice 1. I'm guessing this would be if you wanted to make a radio sketch show?

I like it Bam - could probably cut a few words out, for example...

We've arranged for top British comedian Larry Laughs to give you a crash course in stand up comedy before taking you to one of London's top comedy clubs were you'll perform material that Larry has written especially for you in front of 200 people! What do you have to say about that Andy?

Could be cut down to something like...

We've arranged for Britain's top stand-up, Larry Laughs, to give you a crash course before taking you to one of London's top comedy clubs where you'll perform in front of 200 people! What do you have to say about that?

Even that could probably be trimmed more but I don't think it detracts from the sketch and you get to the punchline a bit quicker - just my thoughts. Nice sketch though.

Yeah, I liked it. The Radio Station is TURNIP. Is the DJ's name Chubbers (as in rubber) or Chubers (as in tubers). I think you see where I'm coming from!

Like it. Wasn't expecting it but could hear it in my head by the Recorded For Training Purposes cast and thought it would fit in well there.

As said, you can trim it down a lot and it won't lose anything. 'Get in late, tell the joke, get out early' as I believe the rule is. Or something.

Made me laugh :-)

Dan