Why do people believe in God(s)? Page 7

Quote: Loopey @ January 9 2012, 1:04 PM GMT

I find it interesting that there are scientists who have strong religious beliefs

They should have their own religion, they could call it...um, scientology. Errr

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 9 2012, 1:06 PM GMT

They should have their own religion, they could call it...um, scientology. Errr

Laughing out loud

I believe because I want something more. Mankind believes they have all the answers. They don't. I pray to a supreme being. It could be a giant walnut for all I know. I'm very open-minded when it comes to spirituality. I think that faith is a good thing. I'm 45 and I have seen many strange things. I lose nothing by believing. I like to think about angels and devils. Fun stuff.

Quote: Tim Fezziwigl @ January 11 2012, 12:37 PM GMT

Mankind believes they have all the answers.

Where did you get that from?

Quote: Lee @ January 11 2012, 12:38 PM GMT

Where did you get that from?

I know alot of atheists. They want to hammer the facts all the time. I may have worded it wrong. I would say alot of "smart" people think they have have it all figured out. I have some really smart friends. None of them believe in God. I'm no zealot. I believe in karma. God is such a vast concept. I don't believe anybody can grasp it. I know I feel great when I help people. Usually I get nothing out of it. Why does it feel good? I believe my soul gets fed by helping others. What is a soul? I don't know? I just feel an inner-spirit inside me. I also feel a dark side inside me. It is very greedy and dumb. When I listen to that voice I feel bad. Who knows? It is fun to talk about.

I sometimes think it'd be cool if we had a Russian Doll God system. So when we die, we go to heaven and meet god, but it turns out there's another heaven after him and another god. This goes on indefinitely, with us traipsing from one afterlife to another, meeting ever-bigger gods.

When I was in school, we had RE and the teacher would pretty much come out and laugh at the other religions, whenever used to talk about them in text books.

Personally. I don't care, if people want to belief it's up to them. Don't talk to me, Keep off my vegetable garden and we'll get on famously.

Are Catholics known for stealing carrots?

No, that's the Methodists.

I remember at school we had a couple of grown-ups come by from the local Christian church giving a talk about faith. It started off weirdly enough (how do you know there's really a place called Russia if you've never been there?) then turned downright dangerous when they offered a kid a bowl of pollyfilla telling him it was a delicious treat (the point being that he wouldn't eat it on faith alone, which of course he did).

Quote: David Bussell @ January 13 2012, 11:37 AM GMT

I remember at school we had a couple of grown-ups come by from the local Christian church giving a talk about faith. It started off weirdly enough (how do you know there's really a place called Russia if you've never been there?) then turned downright dangerous when they offered a kid a bowl of pollyfilla telling him it was a delicious treat (the point being that he wouldn't eat it on faith alone, which of course he did).

That's terrible. It seems to go from one extreme to the other. When I was at primary and middle school Christianity was part of everyday life, not ever rammed down our throats. The Nativity play was a yearly tradition.

At high school we were taught about other religions but nothing about respecting or trying to understand them. It was almost mocking them, which gave out the message that Christians were better and other faiths were wrong. The Christmas play became whatever the sixth formers' came up with, usually a comedy.

By the time my children went to school Christianity seemed to be frowned upon and something that we shouldn't talk about for fear of upsetting others. Christmas shows either had no mention of religion at all, or tried to be multi faith. Each time there were children of various faiths whose parents did not allow them to watch unless their faith was part of the show.

No wonder people are so confused about it.

My primary school was apparently a C of E school, but we only ever talked about religion at Christmas. We sang hymns every morning, that was it.

RE: Assembly stuff.

We used to pretend to be Jehovas to get out of stuff like assembly and singing etc. I supposethat's marginally offensive using a religion as an excuse to get out of doing something crap. *shrug* we were young.

Nah, I think that shows initiative!

Gullible teachers though. Would have thought they'd require/expect letters from parents.

Quote: zooo @ January 13 2012, 12:39 PM GMT

Nah, I think that shows initiative!

Gullible teachers though. Would have thought they'd require/expect letters from parents.

They never asked just assumedthat's why we were there sat with the other religious guys so looked like we belonged. I bloody hated assembly, sat next to some smelly f**k who would breath down your ear the whole time, then scream only certain words of songs. Actually I think the school was quite religious or just didn't have much to say so padded with choir.