Etiquette on topical jokes

Last year I was chatting to a radio producer and I mentioned that I write jokes, and that I was hoping to write more topical stuff possibly for others to use.

He suggested that I send him about 40 or so jokes on any particular subject and if any were good enough to be used he'd pay for them.

What's the etiquette on this. Can I now not use any of those jokes until I know which ones he wants? Am I free to send the same list of jokes to other people that have asked me to write topical stuff for them? If he reads one of my jokes and then very slightly rewords it, is that still my joke?

Advice from people who regularly do this stuff gratefully received.

First and foremost the whole industry runs on trust.
Being seen as a joke thief is very bad, see Cheggers.

I'd agree a time scale for him to make his mind up. Maybe a week for topical for less current. At the end of which if he hasn't made his mind up they're yours again. It's polite to send a prompting email

Selling the same joke or selling it and using it yourself is very bad behaviour. Although NR and Treason don't seem to mind.

As for rewoding again it's trust. If it's yours and slghtly changed he should still pay, if he makes bigger changes maybe not.

You may get used to putting alot of effort into jokes that never see the light of day.

oh and one more tip ALWAYS Google topical jokes. Acidental plagarism is still plagarism

I would also say that these gags may/have been sent to other people on a first come first served basis.

If your stuff is good, he will buy it and the hint might make his mind up quicker.

They are yours until sold.

although he may not buy if he thinks you'll accidentally sell to 2 people...

I say this as only last week I sold a joke to a monthly trade magazine. I informed them that I intended to submit my stuff to at least one other trade mag (same business) they bought same day.

Quote: sootyj @ January 10 2012, 7:00 PM GMT

oh and one more tip ALWAYS Google topical jokes. Acidental plagarism is still plagarism

By that do you mean see if the same wording crops up on the net?

Well there's only so many variations on a theme for a joke. And if someone got there first something like it will pop up.