Microphone/camcorder advice

I'm thiking of recording aradio sitcom pilot, but know nothing about microphones or recording software etc, anyone any advice? Also, I'm thinkng of getting a camcorder to record sketches etc, anyone any advice on that?

Is this the wrong forum or something, I thouught someone would have replied by now? If it would be better can someone move this to the performance forum? Cheers.

This generally is considered one of the best free pieces of audio software - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

As for mics, I can't suggest anything specific. Same goes for camcorder. The only thing I can think of when buying the camera is to learn the difference between what features are highlighted for the average user and what are needed for the more professional. The more manual features the better, as a lot of automatic ones work fine but you won't get a professional result, and example of this would be auto-focus. The ability to manually focus your shot would result in a more stable scene.

Quote: Anon @ January 2 2012, 11:42 PM GMT

Is this the wrong forum or something, I thouught someone would have replied by now? If it would be better can someone move this to the performance forum? Cheers.

Good grief, that's only 7 hours and it's New Year bank holiday too.

Would you like some free gold plating on the advice as well !!

Quote: Anon @ January 2 2012, 4:54 PM GMT

I'm thiking of recording aradio sitcom pilot, but know nothing about microphones or recording software etc, anyone any advice? Also, I'm thinkng of getting a camcorder to record sketches etc, anyone any advice on that?

I use a Sony DCR-TRV240E. I spent a lot of time choosing that some years ago as it has plenty of options to work in manual modes, yet will do auto stuff if you want to. It was possibly the last one with these facilities before Sony DUMBED_DOWN these camcorder models and removed tha manual facilities.

It also has a microphone socket, so that you can use alternatives to the internal one i.e a long-range microphone.

However it is a TAPE machine (Digital-8), not a modern solid state media model. On the other hand this means that you may be able to get hold of a second hand one cheap.

It has full capabilities for Firewire transfer to a PC or Mac for editing. (I simply use Windows Movie Maker).

It was the last of the Sony's that could still read Analogue 8mm video tapes so it can be used to transfer such tapes to digital files on a computer. It can even take an analogue video input such as a TV tuner output or a Video recorder and output the signal in digital on the Firewire socket without any 8mm tape in the camcorder at all.

A highly versatile machine, it even sees in the dark.

But not on sale any more, you just have to search for a little used second hand one on eBay or in pawn shops.

PS: it can also be used, of course, to record an hour of high quality audio, ignoring the video (leave the lens-cap on).

Then use Audacity to edit the audio. You can capture the audio from the audio output of the camcorder using Audacity or capture the whole video+audio with Windows Movie Maker through Firewire & then split out the audio track with suitable software. I don't recall at this time of night what I use for that, I'll try find out tomorrow.

Quote: Anon @ January 2 2012, 4:54 PM GMT

Also, I'm thinkng of getting a camcorder to record sketches etc, anyone any advice on that?

Can I just add? A little advice on the actual editing of any sketch, for the sake of YouTube (or any other video hosting website). From a possible viewer/audience: don't make it any longer than a few minutes. A sketch between 30 secs - 1 minute will get you 10 times as many potential viewers than one of 5 minutes or longer. Unless it's really, really good. Start off with a strong joke, a hook! If I spend longer than 20 secs waiting for something to happen with no obvious build up I'll turn off. Make sure you do get a good mic, as billwill mentions, one with an external mic would work better.

Just a few thoughts there. Probably no good but seeing as I'm bored and it's nearly 2am, yeah.

Quote: billwill @ January 3 2012, 1:37 AM GMT

PS: it can also be used, of course, to record an hour of high quality audio, ignoring the video (leave the lens-cap on).

It IS a good idea to actually leave the lens cap on, if you can't turn of the video. Because the actual size of the file once transferred to the computer will be smaller because it wouldn't have had to process lots of complex images. Good tip, Bill. Not sure how true that is but it sounds right, right?

These camcorders are even much better than my good one: Sony Handycam DCR-VX1000E and surprisingly seem to be more available.

eBay link

They are superb beasts absolute top end amateur videoing, bottom end professional videoing.

Often used by professionals for tricky situations.

Is this the wrong forum or something, I thouught someone would have said thank you by now? Cheers.

Meow!