Table for two.

A man and woman sit at a table in a posh restaurant.

They smile at each other while holding hands.

The woman then places a bread roll in the centre of the table.

The man takes a lit candle and holds it over the bread roll.

The bread roll starts to smoke and a flame erupts.

A concerned waiter rushes over with a fire extinguisher.

WOMAN (annoyed)
Put that away will you....it's our wedding anniversary, we're making a simple toast.

:)

Good idea but the feel is a bit awkward too many not to close connections.

Haha, I liked it. Liked the ritual-ness of it, actually laughed at the punchline.

Cheers guys.

Nice ending there. Great short.

You could build it by slicing the bread roll and hving them each put a bit on a fork. Make sure the audience can see the waiter notice them doing this before he runs over. It would have to be done quickly - but it would be amusing :)

Quote: Shandonbelle @ December 29 2011, 10:22 PM GMT

A man and woman sit at a table in a posh restaurant.

They smile at each other while holding hands.

The woman then places a bread roll in the centre of the table.

The man takes a lit candle and holds it over the bread roll.

The bread roll starts to smoke and a flame erupts.

A concerned waiter rushes over with a fire extinguisher.

WOMAN (annoyed)
Put that away will you....it's our wedding anniversary, we're making a simple toast.

Holds it UNDER the bread roll, surely?
Or is this a Southern thing? I bet you all have fancy newfangled bread rolls that suck energy, using osmosis, from objects placed vertically above them don't you?

Liked it though. Don't change it, apart from the positioning of the flame for the more rustic minded of us.

Thanks for the comments - Todd, if I had the patience I would most likely work on it a bit more, but it came out of my head that way and I didn't spend more than a few minutes on it. New Years resolution - must not write down and exhibit first thing that enters my head ;)

Paul - I see what you mean, but he might have burnt his fingers doing that :)

Quote: Shandonbelle @ January 1 2012, 1:19 PM GMT

Thanks for the comments - Todd, if I had the patience I would most likely work on it a bit more, but it came out of my head that way and I didn't spend more than a few minutes on it. New Years resolution - must not write down and exhibit first thing that enters my head ;)

Paul - I see what you mean, but he might have burnt his fingers doing that :)

Don't worry - I put a lot of things on here as soon as I've written them - its like an exercise from playwrighting workshops I've been at. You write, put the pen down and read it out. Its a supportive place and no one expects a final draft - its just good to connect with other writers. :)

Read some of my stuff if you have a moment, will you? ;)