How does it work?

Hello everyone. First time poster to these forums so first let me say Hello to everyone, hope everyone is well.

The following questions may make me sound like an absolute idiot but I feel I might as well ask these questions. What I need to know is, How does this work?

Me and my co-writer have been putting together a pilot script for a sitcom set in a job-recruitment agency, we are still at the moment working on the 2nd draft for it but I digress. What I need to know are the following.

*When we have the final edit of this pilot. What do we do then?

*Who can we send it too?

*What else do we send besides the pilot script?

Basically what is the process for sending off a pilot script.

Sorry for sounding an idiot, but I assume so educated minds on here would be helpful for me understanding the process a bit more.

Thanks for reading. Ash

Hello Ash, I'll give you a few links.

Here's the usual starting place - http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/ Read everything on there. It will give you some idea of what to do next.

An old section of this very website but still has some useful tips - https://www.comedy.co.uk/writers/

Browse through this forum - https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/writers_discussion/ - Any questions you have may have already been asked and answered.

Hope that helps.

If I were you though I'd have some other episodes prepared before you submit it - just in case.

Quote: Chappers @ December 8 2011, 10:54 AM GMT

If I were you though I'd have some other episodes prepared before you submit it - just in case.

I'd say the exact opposite. By all means have some ideas sketched out so you can answer the question of what a series of your show might look like, but don't trouble yourself with writing more than a pilot script.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone is interested I might post the first few pages of the pilot in the critique section soon.

How does it work? The simple answer is for most of us, we wish we knew...

Quote: ChilliDog @ December 9 2011, 1:59 AM GMT

Thanks for the replies. If anyone is interested I might post the first few pages of the pilot in the critique section soon.

In that case you already have what it takes to be a comedy writer - a combination of bravery and foolhardyness! :)

I assume it is absolutely pointless to send the script to a production company.

Quote: ChilliDog @ December 13 2011, 12:41 AM GMT

No.

Quote: ChilliDog @ December 13 2011, 12:41 AM GMT

I'd think they're better than a TV station direct.

I would have just thought the chance of getting an unsolicited script read by a production company might be a complete shot in the dark... SEE this is how little I know guys :P

It's not a shot in the dark if you send to a prodco that is looking for material or makes shows similar in style/tone to what you've written.

But it would be a shot in the dark sendng scripts out to every company willy-nilly without doing your homework.