British Sitcom Questionnaire!

Hey! I am currently writing a research project on British sitcoms and would really appreciate if you could answer some questions for me! (If you are short of time you don't have to answer in such detail) Thank you so much for your help!

Questionnaire on British Sitcom:

I am writing a research project on British sitcoms and if you could be so kind and fill out this questionnaire I would be very grateful! Thank you! Your answers will be presented as anonymous.

1.How often do you watch television?
-Never
-Once a week
-2-6 times a week
-Everyday

2.What time do you watch television?(can highlight more than one)
-Morning
-Afternoon
-Evening
-Weekends

3.How often do you watch British sitcoms?
-Never
-Once a week
-2-6 times a week
-Everyday

4.Do you enjoy watching British sitcoms? Why?

5.What is your favourite British sitcom of all time? Why?

6.What is your favourite British sitcom of the last 10 years? Why?

7.Do you think British sitcoms have changed much over the last 20years? How? Why?

8.Please mark these British sitcoms between 1-10 in the order of how much you like them, 1 being the least liked and 10 being the one you like the most:

The Inbetweeners
Peep Show
The Office
Marion & Geoff
My Family
Spaced
The Vicar of Dibley
Only Fools and Horses
Fawlty Towers
Hancock's Half Hour

9.Now mark the British sitcoms between 1-10 in order of what you believe to be the most popular programme, 1 being the least popular and 10 being the most popular.

The Inbetweeners
Peep Show
The Office
Marion & Geoff
My Family
Spaced
The Vicar of Dibley
Only Fools and Horses
Fawlty Towers
Hancock's Half Hour

10.What is the first British sitcom you remember watching and how would you say they have changed/ are different from today's sitcoms?

11.Do you believe that older generations enjoy modern British sitcoms less than younger generation's appreciating older British sitcoms? Why?

12.Would you agree that modern sitcoms are very different and if so why?

13.Do you think 'traditional' sitcoms (like Hancock's Half Hour) could survive nowadays?

14.What do you think instigated a change in British sitcoms and how?

15.Has the change in British television broadcasting had an effect on British sitcoms? How? Why?

Thank you so much for completing this questionnaire, your help has been very much appreciated!

I'm ill so have all the time in the world!

Quote: Abbey Martin @ December 12 2011, 12:09 PM GMT

-2-6 times a week

-Evening

-2-6 times a week (usually on YouTube or DVD though)

I love all comedy but feel I can relate to British comedy best as I am British.
There are a lot of bad comedies out there but I think this is more down to the amount of television we have on offer to us rather than a lack of quality. There have been enough good comedies produced in the last 10-15 years to keep me happy!

Toss up between Peep Show and the Office. If I had a gun to my head it would be the Office. Packed full of irony and a show that I could watch again and again and again, every scene has humour and irony in it. The characters are easy to relate to and IMO Brent is the best comedy character created.

Is the Office over 10 years ago now? If it is then Peep Show.

7.Do you think British sitcoms have changed much over the last 20years? How? Why?

I'm only 22 so it's hard to say but I like a lot of old comedies (porridge, OFAH, two ronnies, Fawlty Towers). It seems to me that comedy seemed to be a bit more innocent and less bothered about being clever. A lot more silly and slapstick humour, but a laughs a laugh. They seemed less fussed were the laugh comes from.

8.Please mark these British sitcoms between 1-10 in the order of how much you like them, 1 being the least liked and 10 being the one you like the most:

The Inbetweeners 7
Peep Show 9
The Office 10
Marion & Geoff 1
My Family 3
Spaced 6
The Vicar of Dibley 4
Only Fools and Horses 8
Fawlty Towers 5
Hancock's Half Hour 1

(I've never seen Hancocks Half Hour or Marion and Geoff so they are both1 by default)

9.Now mark the British sitcoms between 1-10 in order of what you believe to be the most popular programme, 1 being the least popular and 10 being the most popular.

The Inbetweeners 10
Peep Show 7
The Office 8
Marion & Geoff 2
My Family 3
Spaced 4
The Vicar of Dibley 6
Only Fools and Horses 9
Fawlty Towers 5
Hancock's Half Hour 1

(I've done it on what I think is the most popular with my peers, I'm not sure ifthat's what you wanted though!)

10.What is the first British sitcom you remember watching and how would you say they have changed/ are different from today's sitcoms?

One Foot in the Grave. Can't remember whether I liked it or not. I think there was more family oriented comedies on then, not family as in like kid comedies adults enjoyed, more comedies that if you was like 11 upwards you got but were primarily for adults. Like Vicar of Dibley and even Father Ted then. There don't seem any decent shows like that anymore.

11.Do you believe that older generations enjoy modern British sitcoms less than younger generation's appreciating older British sitcoms? Why?

No. I think the other way around. A lot of young people like the better older sitcoms, a lot of older people seem to have lost faith in new sitcoms and don't bother to watch the better new sitcoms.

Yes. See answer to 7.

13.Do you think 'traditional' sitcoms (like Hancock's Half Hour) could survive nowadays?

Depends what you mean. Comedy evolves just as everything else does. There are comedies that are still in a traditional format, so yes I think they could survive. But the content and characters would have to be completely different, because society is completely different.

Nothing in particularly. Everything changes, progresses and evolves. Comedy is no different.

15.Has the change in British television broadcasting had an effect on British sitcoms? How? Why?

Not to sure about this so I'l leave it!

Thank you so much for completing this questionnaire, your help has been very much appreciated!

1. How often do you watch television?

-2-6 times a week

2. What time do you watch television?(can highlight more than one)

-Evening
-Weekends

3. How often do you watch British sitcoms?

-Once a week

4. Do you enjoy watching British sitcoms? Why?

I do enjoy watching British sitcoms, but not necessarily because they are British. I still enjoy Friends, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Frasier, 30 Rock etc every now and then, but it's nice to be able to see a British sense of humour reflected in our comedy.

5. What is your favourite British sitcom of all time? Why?

My favourite sitcom of all time would be either Fawlty Towers or The Office. The former because of its 12 perfectly formed episodes based around misunderstandings, farce, and a monstrous main character; the latter because almost every scene is a minor gem - revealing so much about the workplace, relationships and popularity. And it's bloody funny.

6. What is your favourite British sitcom of the last 10 years? Why?

Although The Office might be my favourite of all time, the one that completely captivated and excited me when it first arrived was Green Wing. I just hadn't seen anything like it before. A sitcom...made up of sketches. Even if one scene didn't quite work, you knew that an absolute corker would shortly follow.

7. Do you think British sitcoms have changed much over the last 20years? How? Why?

(see answer to Q12)

8. Please mark these British sitcoms between 1-10 in the order of how much you like them, 1 being the least liked and 10 being the one you like the most:

10. Fawlty Towers
9. The Office
8. Peep Show
7. Spaced
6. The Inbetweeners
5. Only Fools and Horses
4. The Vicar of Dibley
3. My Family
2. Marion & Geoff
1. Hancock's Half Hour

9. Now mark the British sitcoms between 1-10 in order of what you believe to be the most popular programme, 1 being the least popular and 10 being the most popular.

10. Only Fools and Horses
9. Fawlty Towers
8. My Family
7. The Inbetweeners
6. The Vicar of Dibley
5. The Office
4. Peep Show
3. Spaced
2. Hancock's Half Hour
1. Marion & Geoff

This is a bit of a tricky one to judge. I mean, My Family has had God knows how many series and is a 'family' sitcom, but not necessarily a critical darling. Spaced, meanwhile, has a large-ish cult following but you wouldn't find many men-on-the-street who would have seen it. The Inbetweeners has quite a big 16-24 following, and The Office has had its fair share of success across the pond.

10. What is the first British sitcom you remember watching and how would you say they have changed/ are different from today's sitcoms?

The first real British sitcom I remember watching and loving was Only Fools And Horses, specifically Series 3. I've since bought it on DVD and still think that John Sullivan was a master of sitcom writing.

11. Do you believe that older generations enjoy modern British sitcoms less than younger generation's appreciating older British sitcoms? Why?

I would say it's probably about even. I mean, my parents are in their early 50s, but if I'm sitting down to watch a brand new episode of Peep Show, The Thick Of It or The Inbetweeners, they'll probably get up and leave (although that may be because they want to be tucked up in bed at 10 o'clock). I've only just started to watch Yes Minister, and have enjoyed it (and have watched it with my Dad), but I doubt I'd find many others of my age who would sit down and enjoy it. Maybe it's just me.

12. Would you agree that modern sitcoms are very different and if so why?

I think the free-er use of language and more frank subject matter is the main difference. Barely a week goes by where we don't hear a classic sitcom writer or actor from the 70s claiming that today's sitcoms are too sweary or filthy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but a lot of sitcoms are variations of a theme - flatshare, workplace etc. The formula is pretty similar throughout the years but the language seems to be the key thing to separate modern from 'traditional'.

13. Do you think 'traditional' sitcoms (like Hancock's Half Hour) could survive nowadays?

By 'traditional', would you mean 'filmed in front of a studio audience'? Because Miranda, although it's had its share of critics, has been one of the biggest comedy sensations of recent times. It's a very classic set-up, even down to the end credits. My Family, meanwhile, is at the end of its run, and has attracted derision in the past for its 'safe' nature, despite its initial popularity. So, could 'traditional' sitcoms survive? Yes, some.

14. What do you think instigated a change in British sitcoms and how?

One could point to several factors, even several shows. The Young Ones signalled the advent of the 'alternative' sitcom. Men Behaving Badly became synonymous with 'lad culture' and suddenly sex became a talking topic in our comedy. This, in turn, meant that the language could become a lot bluer. The Thick Of It has probably become the standard-bearer for this.

15. Has the change in British television broadcasting had an effect on British sitcoms? How? Why?

The sheer number of channels that we now have at our disposal would be the main effect. Channels have their own identity - BBC3 prides itself as being the 'young person's channel', with Gavin and Stacey, Coming Of Age and Him And Her being some of their biggest names (with varying degrees of success). E4's biggest homegrown hit was The Inbetweeners. The Thick Of It has had stints on BBC4. Channel 4 churns out a fair amount of comedy-drama, with Green Wing and the recent Fresh Meat immediately springing to mind.

I think that was Up Pompeii. Ooh, have to think about that.

Possibly but I don't know. I would presume so, just because there are so many good sitcoms from the past which are still fantastic viewing.

Not VERY different but different on the whole. The way I see it, we have expanded the borders of sitcom, added categories we diddn't have before. But we still have the mainstream prewatershed sitcom, only just maybe, but it is still there.

Without question, they could, absolutely yes!

Firstly, simply, the most obvious and viable situations had been very well covered, and this leads writers to have to come up with more far out, diverse and unusual situations.

Secondly, the coarsening of British culture found its way into TV programming and whole new sitcoms evolved to exploit this new 'freedom' of language and subjects.

Without doubt. I think the huge expansion of TV from other channels has had a big impact on the impact of British sitcoms. More choice equals far less pulling power for individual sitcoms and thus smaller budgets available, so the sitcom is on a downward slide, I'd say, which is a big shame.

:(

Questionnaire on British Sitcom:

-Everyday

-Evening
-Weekends

-2-6 times a week

- Yes. We all like a laugh but I don't need it to be crude to enjoy it. I like the classics from the 50s up until the present day but my peak viewing would be shows from the 70s and 80s.

- Fawlty Towers probably. I think the way the episodes are constructed are very clever and there's far more to those than simple laughs. You feel that real time and effort has been put in to get it right.

- While I great admiration for the Office, which is again very cleverly put together, I think I have probably enjoyed Coupling the most in pure laughter terms.

7. Do you think British sitcoms have changed much over the last 20years? How? Why?
- There's far fewer studio sitcoms now with production costs driven down for a more 'fly-on-the-wall' style. Sometimes the writing goes for the shock factor in the hope that an expletive or controversial statement will get the laugh when often it plays no real relevance to what's happening in the action.

8. Please mark these British sitcoms between 1-10 in the order of how much you like them, 1 being the least liked and 10 being the one you like the most:

The Inbetweeners
Peep Show 4
The Office 7
Marion & Geoff 5
My Family 3
Spaced
The Vicar of Dibley 6
Only Fools and Horses 9
Fawlty Towers 10
Hancock's Half Hour 8

9. Now mark the British sitcoms between 1-10 in order of what you believe to be the most popular programme, 1 being the least popular and 10 being the most popular.

The Inbetweeners 4
Peep Show 6
The Office 5
Marion & Geoff 2
My Family 8
Spaced 3
The Vicar of Dibley 9
Only Fools and Horses 10
Fawlty Towers 7
Hancock's Half Hour 1

10. What is the first British sitcom you remember watching and how would you say they have changed/ are different from today's sitcoms?
- If The Goodies doesn't count as a sitcom I'd probably have to say Dad's Army. Better developed characters by some distance - sitcom's today don't seem to pay as much attention to this.

11. Do you believe that older generations enjoy modern British sitcoms less than younger generation's appreciating older British sitcoms? Why?
- Yes. At the end of the day a joke is a joke and if it's done cleanly the whole family can enjoy it. This technique seems to be used less these days so some gags appeal to a narrower band of people.

- Sitcoms these days often have no laughter track so the feeling of lots of people laughing together reduces that aspect of the enjoyment. There's also more cringe comedy which can work very well in some circumstances but if over done can leave me cold.

13. Do you think 'traditional' sitcoms (like Hancock's Half Hour) could survive nowadays?
- Being black and white obviously doesn't help but the writing remains strong - Hancock brought them to life with his reactions. You could perhaps use 70-80% of those scripts and it work today but it would need some cultural tweaks for a modern audience.

- Political satire of the 80s and the desire to shock. It's a bit like Punk was a reaction to the same old, same old music of the early 70s and the desire to do something different. Everything has a life cycle which is probably why My Family, a more traditional based sitcom, enjoyed such longevity. You sense as time went on that there was a reaction against it just as there has been with Life of Riley.

15. Has the change in British television broadcasting had an effect on British sitcoms? How? Why?
- I've posted my thoughts on this before: http://orbellcomms.wordpress.com/2009/12/11/tv-comedy-digital-world/

Since I am bored and you asked nicely:

-2-6 times a week

-Evening

-2-6 times a week

I enjoy them if they make me laugh; but British sitcoms do have a 'handmade' character quite different to the more processed American product.

Porridge - the quality of the writing and performances, but also because there is no cringe factor; the dynamic is quite different to most sitcoms.

Outnumbered. It has a credibility that is unusual in sitcoms, but still delivers the laughs. Like all the best British sitcoms it is one of a kind.

Sitcoms tend to be less linear, with more use of sub-plots; dialogue tends to be more naturalistic and less witty; more emphasis on cringe comedy; increasing use of devices like cutaways, talking to camera, mock documentary. But sitcom is a broad church and I am only making general observations on trends, there always have been different approaches. One notable change is the end of the broad appeal sitcom, partly as a result of market fragmentation and niche placement, but it does seem something of a lost art.

The Inbetweeners 4
Peep Show 6
The Office 5
Marion & Geoff 7
My Family 1
Spaced 3
The Vicar of Dibley 2
Only Fools and Horses 8
Fawlty Towers 9
Hancock's Half Hour 10

The Inbetweeners 4
Peep Show 3
The Office 7
Marion & Geoff 1
My Family 6
Spaced 2
The Vicar of Dibley 8
Only Fools and Horses 10
Fawlty Towers 9
Hancock's Half Hour 5

Difficult to recall, but probably something like Rising Damp. See comments under 7.

11. Do you believe that older generations enjoy modern British sitcoms less than younger generation's appreciating older British sitcoms? Why? Probably, I think older generations can find the risqué content of post watershed sitcoms alienating, while the pre-watershed sitcoms just are not very good. Younger generations can appreciate the best of the older sitcoms because class is permanent - I grew up enjoying Hancock and Bilko.

See 7; but there are always exceptions to any generalisation.

I suspect that there is a huge untapped demand.

Partly market fragmentation due to media changes but mainly the response of execs to that changing environment. There is a high level of cluelessness.

See above.

-Never
-Once a week
-2-6 times a week *
-Everyday

-Morning
-Afternoon
-Evening *
-Weekends *

-Never
-Once a week
-2-6 times a week *
-Everyday

Yes. Because the ones I watch are funny and have characters I will never forget. Some of the scrapes they get into are hilarious and much talked about.

Fawlty Towers. I'll be short and non poncy, if I can: Because Cleese and Booth saw an extremely funny situation, that both ran counter to what we expect in everyday life, but also revealed the widely held suspicion that British people weren't that good (certainly at the time) at being smiley helpful servants, even if it was their trade.

It's a close call between Alan Partridge and The Office. The Office only because AP2 was not quite as good as AP1. I prefer what AP is, a studio based sitcom with an honest, unfashionable laughter track. But The Office was clever, new and different looking, mostly very funny with some scenes as funny and memorable as AP's. The madness of the main character was about equal.

A lot of them have, yes. They've generally become more explicit in their material and delivery. Why? Because the younger generation of producers and execs want the thrill of being behind the airing of naughty words that never used to be allowed on TV.

2 The Inbetweeners
5 Peep Show
8 The Office
3 Marion & Geoff
1 My Family
4 Spaced
6 The Vicar of Dibley
7 Only Fools and Horses
10 Fawlty Towers
9 Hancock's Half Hour

4 The Inbetweeners
3 Peep Show
6 The Office
1 Marion & Geoff
5 My Family
2 Spaced
8 The Vicar of Dibley
10 Only Fools and Horses
9 Fawlty Towers
7 Hancock's Half Hour