How desperate for good drama is Channel 4? Page 2

I thought it was a rather clever statement on the devolution of power to the vocal masses. (It all got a bit meta- afterwards, as '#blackmirror' was trending on twitter.)

While watching it, my brother and I were wondering whether the resignation of the Prime Minister would have avoided the grisly deed. The video stipulated that the act should be performed by the PM...

Quote: David Bussell @ December 5 2011, 2:09 PM GMT

It might well be. Animals don't give consent anyway, even in the wild. They're basically a pack of rapists/victims.

Ha, you're starting to sound like a feminist! Look up zoophilia on wikipedia, it contains a most interesting story about an animal brothel (in America, of course) that got shut down.

Quote: Vader @ December 5 2011, 2:21 PM GMT

Ha, you're starting to sound like a feminist!

I am a feminist.

Chicks dig that shit.

They should never have axed Brookside.

I thought Black Mirror was a minor classic.

Quote: David Bussell @ December 5 2011, 2:24 PM GMT

I am a feminist.

Chicks dig that shit.

What about pigs though?

nb bought "Blind Faith" by Ben Elton the other day for 50p and read it in a day. I can see why it flopped, it's actually a serious scifi dystopia in his his over the top style.

In this case it's 198facebook. About what a future where the constant burblings of the twitterati rules society. Convincing, scary and depressing.

Sort of made me think about the Black Mirror.

In what way was it over the top?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 5 2011, 12:39 PM GMT

No, I don't think it was a shock tactic to get an audience at any cost. Also, most of the people watching would have no idea of that plot point before watching.

I certainly didn't - I was going to watch it but forgot and I'm quite disturbed that I now want to see how that frankly bizarre scenario was played out.

Quote: Vader @ December 6 2011, 10:14 AM GMT

In what way was it over the top?

Oh full of comedy grotesques with naked bodies flopping all over the place and deliberately ott reality show.

But instead of being used for comedic effect, they're very much used for horror effect.

Charlie Booker is brilliant and for me National Anthem was very very well put together. I will be watching the next two offerings, and looking forward to them before hand!

Sometimes I think it's a tad disingenuous for Charlie Brooker to take such a misanthropic crap over modern media culture and the like, as it's the "idiots" who supply him with so much of his source material and, to an extent, have helped elevate him to where he is today. He's now such a key player within the industry he mocks that, whilst he is in no way a hypocrite, his satire risks being seen as contrived.

That said, this is (probably) just the kind of original (in the sense of being non-generic) drama that Channel Four should be doing - in fact, the type of show that was part of its original remit to produce.

Actually, I didn't get any feel of 'idiots' in this. I don't think anyone got a particularly bad deal (apart from the PM of course!). His criticism wasn't aimed at the public, the media or the government, but our collective interest social media and instant news, and the power it has. It wasn't even strictly criticism.

i've never read blind faith but black mirror reminded of popcorn by Ben Elton the central theme is very similar. Black mirror was good but popcorn is a masterpiece, Ben Elton's best work imo.

Popcorn is very good, if you liked that you'll like Blind Faith.

Albeit it's more pious and not funny.

The final paragraph of Popcorn is a genius bit of satire.