New Opp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunity/marza_storycircus_2011.shtml

Haven't clicked on application form yet, but looks interesting

Interesting rule - 10. The applicant acknowledges and agrees that there may be cases where the Sponsors may make works that are similar to the Applicant's Submission Work without being based on the Applicant's Submission Work ("Similar Works"). The applicant agrees, even in such cases as where there are Similar Works made by the Sponsors, that the applicant will not make any claims, suits or objections to or against the Sponsors regarding such Similar Works.

This seems very strange, but I'll have a go cos it's free and it actually sounds like fun.

I'm not certain but I think this kind of clause is fairly common in comps. The organiser is bound to get some ideas that are similar and it avoids any doubt about rip-off merchants. If I was organising a comp I'd be tempted to do the same.

Cheers Badge - never seen it before but if you have feel better about giving it a go

The bit that concerns me is...

"7. Even if the Sponsors determine, in their sole discretion, to exploit the Rights, they make no promises hereby to use the Applicant for writing a script/screenplay concerning the Rights or to otherwise retain the applicant's services in any way concerning the Rights."

I think there's a very good chance the script based on the winning idea will written by a more established screenwriter (I don't have any credits except a short). Or, of course, it'll never make it into production in the first place.

I have an idea that would be perfect, but wouldn't want to risk it. (I may send off an idea I'm not so attached to instead)

Has any one seen Crake's rule before?

Yes. It's a common rule. The winning entrant, though a good writer, might be a complete nut job. The rule ensures no further contact with said person.

Basically, why on earth would you make an OBLIGATION to work any further with someone you've NEVER MET?

So true Don, never let my great stuff be stolen! ;)

Unusually I'm tempted to enter this, cos I have a cracking treatment for an animated film. I wrote it in January and am delighted with it and think it would make a brilliant film. I haven't written it yet because I was busy with other stuff. Then this Autumn the new series of Doctor Who "did" their version of one of the main premises of my high-concept story, which put me off the idea of finishing it.

So this competition looks like a good way of using my treatment. Only the whole disclaimer thing reads to me like I could send in my brilliant plot, only for them to say they don't like it, then go and make something almost identical to it, and when I say "that's my story" they can say "no it's not, they did that idea in the last series of Doctor Who".

Quandry. Should I sit on my truly truly brilliant idea so nobody ever sees it? Or give it away to some foreigners?

Also how much is a million Yen anyway?*

Kev F

*Just checked. It's worth £8202.51

:) Kev, go for it its perfect for your 'sock-puppets', I'm am suprised that CBBC has not contacted you?

In case anyone missed this:

"Please note that the deadline for submission of stories has been extended until December 1st.
On November 1st we experienced problems with our Server in the US and all e-mails from our Webmail Server were archived.
We are currently trying to retrieve the stories from the archived e-mails.
Most of the stories submitted before November 1st had already been processed, but there is a small possibility that we some stories were lost during the period when the e-mails were archived.
To be on the safe side we have decided to extend the deadline.
If you submitted a story before November 1st please resubmit your story.
We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience."

Anyone else enter this then? Dunno when the short listed will hear back after the delay.