A sketch involving students :-)

7.30pm EXT.

Two new students at a Metropolitan University are walking through the city on their way back to their residence, ALDRIDGE has a phone that is playing a radio station that's audible

ALRDRIGE
(SLIGHTLY POSH SOUTHERN ACCENT - Think JP from Fresh Meat)
Yeah it's been great so far, so many really, I mean really good people on my degree course

FITCH
(SPODDY HOUSEMATE)
Yes, I agree, there is a good percentage of fellow students who I bounce of in my mathematics classes.

ALDRIDGE
Here, I know a short cut back to the house, the city is positively mad for short cuts, not like back home, a field is a field

FITCH
This would have all been fields, once upon a time, that being pre Industrial revolution.

ALDRIDGE
Quite.... it's this way

FITCH STOPS, THEY BOTH STOP.

FITCH
I don't think we should go that way, that's where the homeless live, anything could happen

ALDRIDGE
Listen, my family have a pad in London, been going there for years, now I've seen more homeless than you've had (PAUSE) than you.

THEY WALK ON

FITCH
So what you are saying is they is no increase in the probability of us being robbed then?

ALDRIDGE
No, trust me, as long as you don't antagonise them or take the piss the worst that will happen is you will get is asked for 50p, or such like. They might be no nonsense hardy individuals but they are not villains, think cool, be cool.

THEY MOOCH OFF DOWN THE STREET OF THE GREAT UNWASHED. THE RADIO DJ CAN BE HEARD TALKING TO A GUEST

RADIO GUEST
Yeah, I've always been facinated by one hit wonders, the 80's was great for it, when everything falls into place and the consequences far outweigh the ability of the talent that created it, Sheffield wasn't just The Human League and Heaven 17 blah,blah,blah.

ALDRIDGE
I love the 80's, my family made a mint, lets crank the juice up on the volume buddy

FITCH
(NERVOUSLY)
What about the homeless, they might steal your phone?

ALDRIDGE
What homeless, there's no one about, it's still light-ish, (Puts phone in zipped breast pocket), happy now?

RADIO DJ
Pin back those ears and turn that volume up as we rewind to this 80's classic, coming to you from Student FM.

THE SCREEN FADES OUT TO THE SONG LIVING IN A BOX BY LIVING IN A BOX

FITCH
Where the.....(INTERUPTED)

ALDRIDGE
Run man, run!

END

Is there room for a Shaun of the dead reference?

Enjoyed this as it went along, the dialogue is good between the two. 'Living in a box, living in a cardboard box' as they enter the homeless area...good one Laughing out loud

It's not bad but it does meander a little and that dialogue isn't that funny.

Agree the dialogue isn't funny funny, but it's good in a dry sort of way and a good portrayal of a couple of goody goodies afraid of their own shadows.

Cheers folks

The dialogue wasn't meant to be funny, more set the scene and help form the characters in the readers/viewers mind.

For what it's worth, if it was in an episode of a sketch show I would utilise several cuts back to a black screen, the chorus of the song (which is the only memorable bit) and the sound of two students footsteps rapidly hitting the tarmac making observational comments as they go whilst breathing heavily.... for what it's worth

Being chased in the dark is scary but also quite funny too, if it's ever happened to you.

Peace