I'm totally STUCK!!!!!:(

OK guys I know ive asked some questions already however I still havent started writing anything for standup! It is what I want to do however im not 100% sure about how to go about starting???

Can anyone help me???

For example...

...Do u always carry a note book around with u?
...what sort of things would u write in it?
...then do u expand on the idea later on?
...Do u make things up to fit to the rest of the story?

I was watching a thing about Rhod Gilbert last night and he said that for his DVD he seen a sign called "award wining mince pie" and worked around that and fitted the pieces together?

Comon guys some help please, Im busting to write but not sure how to start??
I think once I start I won't be able to stop lol

Help help help

Many thanks

James

If you're busting to start then write down everything you think of. Then edit away the crap. Really, write down any comic idea.

I don't think it would help if someone explained how to take notes. I know how you feel, because there must be someway to take shorthand notes and for them to make sense later on. But really, it's your own mind, only you can figure out the best way for it.

You just need to write, write, WRITE!

Pick a subject, write it down in the middle of the paper, and brainstorm/mindmap/thought-shower away. I guess that way it'll be themed at least.

This works for me writing sketches.

Dan

Google 'how to write stand up'. Buy some books on the subject. Carry a notebook and write down anything that occurs to you as being funny. Edit your material. Do a course if you have to. Book some stage time. Stop starting multiple threads on the same subject. Don't expect people to do your work for you.

Chris Head has a course starting next Wednesday: http://www.chris-head.com/IntroductiontoStand-up.html

Dan

I can't imagine any of today's successful comedians ever felt the need to ask those kind of questions. Genuinely no offence intended, but "what sort of things would you write in a notepad?"
Do a course if you can and you'll soon realise if Stand-up is for you. Good Luck!

I'm assuming you have no particular idea what you want to say, or you wouldn't be asking these questions. So why not flick through a dictionary, stick your finger in, pick a word and write for five minutes non-stop on your thoughts about whatever that is? You believe that once you start writing, you won't stop - so go for it. ANY starting place is better than no starting place.

In particular, don't expect to write the funniest thing ever straight off. Set yourself the far more realistic target of writing something. Once you've got the hang of that, set yourself the target of writing something mildly amusing and/or interesting. Then keep going from there.

Perhaps your act could be asking the audience if they've heard any good jokes.

I agree with the others. Also feels to me like you are nervous of taking that first leap into writing, to the point where you are overthinking it with all the questions e.t.c. That's holding you back...just go for it and see what comes out. Have a look around the site here, at the Critique to start, and then, when you feel ready, post up one of your jokes...DO IT JIM :)

Quote: Lazzard @ October 6 2011, 6:15 PM BST

Perhaps your act could be asking the audience if they've heard any good jokes.

:D

Thanks for the constructive advice and not so constructive advice lol I am taking it all on board :)

Google is your friend here. You're asking about the broad, broad basics of 'writing' as bare as 'what pen do I use'.

Write down everything your instinct tells you is worthy of putting on paper. Everyone's starting out material is stuff they later look back on and think 'what was I thinking', so get all your stuff down and it gets better and better.

Stand up specific; based on my own newbie experiences...

All depends on your personality, what kind of person you are, that ultimately becomes your voice. Some people are into 1-liners and puns, and whilst it's distanced from full on soul-baring, it's still a craft that requires wit, a turn of phrase and hard work.

Stand up (the kind that matters) is about telling a truth that is otherwise left unsaid in public. Then, once you find whatever it is that offends your sense of reason, you have to word your ideas so that they become 'jokes' and 'bits'.

Then there's the "wacky" stuff, where the laugh isn't from the wording/ideas in your comedy, but the actual delivery/presence, where people laugh at the fact you're eccentrically shouting/using physicality, as oppose to laughing at what it is you're actually shouting. "funny"

The more popular route is the whimsical observational stuff, that doesn't really have any rage or bloodlust behind it, where you notice stuff, comment on it, soak up the applause and move on without having made a point...

There's really too much to say on the subject - Log onto stand up forums - Chortle, Manchester Forums, Yorkshire Forums and Midlands Forums and each site contains a message board "Gold" thread, where the topics spanning the last few years are retained. Here you'll find hours and hours and hours of tips, anecdotes and insight to get your cogs turning.

On this site there's a few really funny people who do stand up, Bussell and Miss Wicks, Chopz, Cowards is a pro, plus loads more. There's Alski, Jason S, Scaffardi and a few others starting out so do a BCG search for "Stand Up" and you'll see loads and loads of years worth of threads/vids/feedback/tips and shared insight/ideas in threads that collectively form a priceless education.

The simplest way to start, is to realise what TRULY makes you laugh and touches a nerve/funnybone? You won't be able to perform the kind of comedy that you hate, so, you'll probably try in the vein of comedy you love. Take it from there and your voice'll find itself, the details'll take care of themselves.

As for asking "what to write in a notebook" etc, that's silly. Everyone does their own thing. The more typical thing is to write wherever, on whatever possible, then, when at your computer or writing pad, you take all the napkins, Rizzla packets and various bits of torn paper you've scribbled on throughout the day and shoehorn it all into something coherent.

PS - As soon as you get something down on paper, rewrite and rewrite and get rid of any surplus then try out open mics. Getting comfortable behind a mic is a separate issue from writing and a whole other problem, one minute you're in a packed comedy club on comp night, the next (more often) you're talking to about 10 people in a pub who want to watch football.

Also, check out the numerous blogs from stand ups and they paint a picture of what the venues/crowds/bookers are like and how it's all a million miles away from McIntyres Roadshow.

Finally, and most obvious, soak up every single album/special you can from the 40's to present day. Good comedy, bad comedy, all in between. Educate yourself and obsess over the history of stand up as it evolved and become aware of everyone - a simple Wikipedia search of british comics brings up about 1000 results, US comics another 2000. Check out podcasts by Mark Marron, Joe Rogan (especially!!) Adam Carolla, Doug Benson, Duncan Trussell each contain literally hundred of hours of interviews with stand up comics discussing the mechanic of stand up comedy styles, week in, week out.

Spend a sleepless month or so obsessing and reading and writing and your passion should carry you through. Then, you'll emerge a lot more prepared/empowered than you are now.

Good luck fella, it can be fun.

I have just started Creative Writing with the Open Uni, and just started Stand Up so I carry 2 note books around with me pretty much all the time and spare pens or use pencil to avoid 1 running out.
I observe whats around me and stuff seems to come to mind.
Or listen to music and daydream.

What makes you laugh, cry, have fears etc?

good luck with it all :D

Quote: David Bussell @ October 6 2011, 4:42 PM BST

Google 'how to write stand up'. Buy some books on the subject. Carry a notebook and write down anything that occurs to you as being funny. Edit your material. Do a course if you have to. Book some stage time. Stop starting multiple threads on the same subject. Don't expect people to do your work for you.

David Bussell, you're such a grumpy boy! You look so nice in your videos, it's very disappointing.

You can have this one, I'm finished with it.

I'm the youngest in a family of three and when I was a kid, the eldest two always used to beat me up! They were terrible parents!