Female comedians Page 31

Quote: Nat Wicks @ September 8 2011, 11:54 AM BST

If you can bare to wade through the trolling .

No need to take your clothes off . . .

Quote: FOLady @ September 7 2011, 8:09 AM BST

I'm a female stand up. And I'm funny. So f**k off.

Woman definitely are funny, I certainly laughed when I read this.

All of the women comedians I have seen on TV aren't funny (in my opinion). But I know of women and they can be funny so it's not a gender thing.

I think the reason famous female comedians aren't funny (to me) is to do with tokenism (them being put on TV for the sake of having a woman in the show).

What the TV execcutives should do it acctually find genuinely funny female comedians and put them on instead, athough that may just be too much effort.

I love Sally Phillips.

Quote: Leevil @ September 9 2011, 12:04 AM BST

I love Sally Phillips.

Looked her up, recognised her and couldn't figure out were on earth I'd seen her, took me ages to figure it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmRf1zURNsw

Thanks for the clip. :)

Apologies. I didn't mean to wade into the thread with any intentional aggression. However rereading my posts I do seem to be a bit on the biff side. I had spent all day researching on the net why people state women aren't funny and had been amazed about the level of ignorance and stupidity out there. "Women don't need to be funny because they don't need to attract mates" seems to be the predominant theory. WOW! I mean personally I have had 'mates' lined up all my life therefore I need never make a joke or indulge in any sense of humour. So I guess I brought a bit of hostility into this thread with that. And well why wouldn't I be angry about such bullshit? Anyway I am genuine. I'm from Australia. The FO does stand for f**k off. But in a friendly jibing kinda way.

I genuinely can't think of any female stand-ups that I like alone for their stand-up. There are loads of great women working in comedy but with stand-up I'm drawing a blank. I used to like Lucy Porter a few years ago but she seemed original back when she first broke through. Not so much now. Ummm????

I'm guessing I just find it harder to relate to the material in their routines. I know it's not alien concepts but I'm impatient enough with comedy these days, I don't want to have to take that extra step and meet the performer in the middle. They need to dish it up on a plate for me to feast on, like a fat King eating a chicken leg.

Quote: FOLady @ September 9 2011, 1:03 AM BST

Apologies. I didn't mean to wade into the thread with any intentional aggression.

S'alright, it is an incredibly annoying opinion. I don't blame you!

Quote: Leevil @ September 9 2011, 1:14 AM BST

I genuinely can't think of any female stand-ups that I like alone for their stand-up. There are loads of great women working in comedy but with stand-up I'm drawing a blank. I used to like Lucy Porter a few years ago but she seemed original back when she first broke through. Not so much now. Ummm????

Nina Conti? She's too funny for words. And Sarah Millican is almost completely different live to on TV.

They need to dish it up on a plate for me to feast on, like a fat King eating a chicken leg.

Thought you'd gone vegan? ;)

Quote: FOLady @ September 9 2011, 1:03 AM BST

I had spent all day researching on the net why people state women aren't funny and had been amazed about the level of ignorance and stupidity out there. "Women don't need to be funny because they don't need to attract mates" seems to be the predominant theory. WOW! I mean personally I have had 'mates' lined up all my life therefore I need never make a joke or indulge in any sense of humour.

Bollocks statements get bollocks theories put forward to explain them. Simple as that!

As much as I mostly prefer the performance of male (sitcom) comedians (too many to mention) I must say that I don't agree at all with the original statement:

- Patricia Routledge (as Hyacinth in 'Keeping Up Appearances')
- Josephine Tewson (as Elizabeth in 'Keeping Up Appearances')
- Judy Cornwell (as Daisy in 'Keeping Up
- Su Pollard (everything she's done)
- Carmen Silvera (as Edith in 'Allo Allo')
- Kim Hartman (as Private Helga in 'Allo Allo')
- Brenda Cowling (as Ms Lipton in 'You Rang M'Lord')
- Mavis Pugh (as Lady Lavender in 'You Rang M'Lord')
- Barbara New (as Mabel in 'You Rang M'Lord)
- Mollie Sugden (as Mrs. Slocombe in 'Are You Being Served')

all delivered brilliant (comedic) performances.

I genuinely can't think of any female stand-ups that I like alone for their stand-up.

Some you might like to try:

Maria Bamford
Sarah Silverman
Tig Notaro

Quote: Aaron @ September 9 2011, 3:21 AM BST

Nina Conti? She's too funny for words. And Sarah Millican is almost completely different live to on TV.

Meh. Nina is okay. She looks a little desperate for laughs sometimes though.

Quote: Aaron @ September 9 2011, 3:21 AM BST

Thought you'd gone vegan? ;)

Nope :)

Quote: David Bussell @ September 9 2011, 11:23 AM BST

Some you might like to try:

Maria Bamford
Sarah Silverman
Tig Notaro

I've tried to get on with Sarah Silverman but I just can't, she grates me. After Googling the other two I suspect that they are similar to Sarah. Thanks for the recommendations though, I'll keep an eye out for em.

I'm guessing I just find it harder to relate to the material in their routines. I know it's not alien concepts but I'm impatient enough with comedy these days, I don't want to have to take that extra step and meet the performer in the middle. They need to dish it up on a plate for me to feast on, like a fat King eating a chicken leg.

Do you honestly believe what you're typing or is this one of these moments when you get a little bored and just type to create effect?

There's plenty of good female comedians.

I do think there is a feminised style of comedy I can't abide. It's a sort of don't you think, poorly structured boreathon.

And by that I mean Sarah Millican, Tittybangbang, Sarah Silverman (why is she so highly rated?) etc.

But then meh it's a style. And not that diferent to the laymo comedy stylings of some one like Richard Blackwood.