Curb your Enthusiasm Season 8 Page 4

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ August 15 2011, 6:29 PM BST

Just watched last night's episode with Ricky Gervais. Great episode, Larry and Ricky work very well with each other.

That was fantastic :) It's a shame Ricky's only doing the one episode, their chemistry was great.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ August 15 2011, 10:58 PM BST

That was fantastic :) It's a shame Ricky's only doing the one episode, their chemistry was great.

Yeah, it's a pity he couldn't have popped up here and there for the rest of the season.

Loved the white scarf, so pompous Laughing out loud

Just watched the Gervais one myself, really didn't enjoy it so much.

Always been a massive fan of Gervais, but he just seemed to be outclassed by pretty much everyone else in this episode. His pompous attitude seems to have been Americanized to the point where nothing he says is really 'biting' anymore. same old phrases, same old smugness.

He also looked like the only guy who was 'acting' himself throughout the episode.

My least favourite ep of this season so far.

:( :(

Quote: Scartledge @ August 16 2011, 1:55 PM BST

He also looked like the only guy who was 'acting' himself throughout the episode.

Bollocks.

He was only playing himself in name.

In what world would Ricky Gervais star in a play about WW1? or walk around with a white scarf on? or act so serious all the time without once laughing like a hyena?

It wouldn't have been Curb if Ricky played himself, because he would have loved Larry and took the piss out of him.

It wouldn't have worked.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ August 15 2011, 6:29 PM BST

I want to see the out-takes of this episode as they're the biggest corpsers in the business.

Me too. There is no way he would of got through the famous Larry David stare in one take.

I was apprehensive about Ricky's appearance as it felt like a cameo too far and feared he was going to nervously overact, but I laughed a lot. Gervais had invented a new comedy persona for the episode as someone even more ego centric and mean than Larry at his worst.

Quote: Scartledge @ August 16 2011, 1:55 PM BST

Just watched the Gervais one myself, really didn't enjoy it so much.

Always been a massive fan of Gervais, but he just seemed to be outclassed by pretty much everyone else in this episode. His pompous attitude seems to have been Americanized to the point where nothing he says is really 'biting' anymore. same old phrases, same old smugness.

My least favourite ep of this season so far.

I agree.

I've enjoyed the series so far but this one felt weak. It was good to see that L.D and R.G didn't get on but Ricky didn't convince me of his character. Everyone else on the show seems so natural during banter, even if a little hammy at times. But Gervais looked like he was straining to keep up with the big boys. Not a terrible episode, but not a great one either.

Japanese bowing etiquette- terrific Curb nonsense.

A spot-on friend of mine who hasn't seen the new series was complaining about queuing when I suggested he should of employed a chat and cut. After explaining the phrase he said 'that sounds like some Larry David bullshit.'

The phrase has already worked its way into urban dictionary- www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Chat%20and%20Cut&defid=6003881

Good episode, although the ending was slightly predictable.

"You been juicing Larry?" Laughing out loud

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ July 26 2011, 4:20 PM BST

There's a couple of scenes in the third episode that appear to have been 'influenced' by Scrubs and Louie :O

Maybe it because Larry has three other writers credited on Season 8 episodes. I think he usually wrote the show himself until now.

Quote: bob4apples @ August 27 2011, 4:52 PM BST

Maybe it because Larry has three other writers credited on Season 8 episodes. I think he usually wrote the show himself until now.

On reflection I shouldn't have went with 'influenced', the inverted commas make it seem like I'm suggesting something untoward. The writers just used scenarios that I've seen in other sitcoms, and 'Curb'd them up' to the hilt.

I'm absolutely loving this series :)

Hasn't Curb always been heavily influenced by other comedy scenarios?

Just watched the latest ep, with the car periscope invention; one of the best of this run so far; just very, very funny.

Tony Soprano's sister was in the latest episode, always hated her as an actress. Can't trust her with your popcorn.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 3 2011, 2:58 PM BST

Just watched the latest ep, with the car periscope invention; one of the best of this run so far; just very, very funny.

Are there any previous episodes with a 'comedy prop'?

Quote: jhmagic1 @ September 4 2011, 12:57 AM BST

Are there any previous episodes with a 'comedy prop'?

I don't know, why?