Everyone with a TV read this (Bill Hicks) Page 4

:) Calm down Jack, or you will follow dear Bill into early grave.

What else are you so fervent about? dare not post sarcastic suggestions.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 28 2011, 3:09 AM BST

People laugh at a fart in a school exam.

Yeah but that is funny. If you understand why you have cracked it creatively. It is the human condition summed up.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 29 2011, 4:52 AM BST

I'll tell you what I am. I'm someone who recognises that you're a pseudo intellectual who likes to quote books and authors and concepts you've probably only half-digested in the last few years and now regurgitate in online discussion.

I read the original reply you left, and I've since read your witty revision made an hour and half later when the word "Drolletariat" popped into your head.

I'm not going to defend Bill Hicks' back catalogue because people a thousand times smarter than me or you have already done so over the last twenty years, it doesn't need me cheerleading it as the merit of his work speaks for itself.

Lots of people may or may not see his appeal and that's fine but to say things like "I guess he's funny, for a stand up comedian" is pompous, naive and really doesn't dignify a reply.

I read and replied to the absolute puerile nonsense you wrote about the moon landings so I'm not getting drawn into this one.

I made the thread because the documentary was on TV and people familiar, or not, with him may have enjoyed it.

You say the clips you saw displayed no insight or satire, fair enough, had he lived for longer maybe one day he'd have reached high enough to impress people on your plane of existence. I guess we'll never know.

As you don't really know anything about me your insults are not about to cause me to go into a period of painstaking self-searching. I'll let you decide for yourself how fair your comments really are.

I didn't actually say they displayed no insight or satire, simply that I wasn't bowled over by them and this is all I said, I did not try to draw you into any lengthy or 'intellectual' discussion, it has rather been you who has posted far longer and detailed replies to both my posts.

And by the way I am a Christian. I'm not particularly offended by the jokes that I saw and heard, but I think I have the right, in the context, to pass some sort of judgment on whether those jokes were insightful or not.

I've gotta say Eddie Murphy of roughly the same era makes laugh a lot more.

Quote: sootyj @ August 29 2011, 11:19 AM BST

I've gotta say Eddie Murphy of roughly the same era makes laugh a lot more.

Other people from then, before then, and now have probably made me laugh out loud more, I don't see what that actually has to do with anything?

Why does anything have to mean anything?

Quote: sootyj @ August 29 2011, 12:09 PM BST

Why does anything have to mean anything?

Yes, good point Sooty.

:) Fair Do's to everyone, our appreciation of comedy is personal , and it can change over the years I am much more tolerant of 'dark/black' humour now.

Ok previously I've said that I grey tired of Bill Hicks. But I just watched a recording of the show and I was wrong, he is good. Thanks for making me have another look!.

Quote: sidecar jon @ August 29 2011, 9:07 PM BST

Ok previously I've said that I grey tired of Bill Hicks. But I just watched a recording of the show and I was wrong, he is good. Thanks for making me have another look!.

That's excellent.

And westcountryman, sorry if it seemed I was trying to insult you, I promise I weren't. I weren't judging you, I was just judging the things you've posted, that I've read. Crossed wires is all.

Quote: Westcountryman @ August 29 2011, 12:56 AM BST

It didn't seem to show much insight to me; lets say it isn't the sort of thing that would get a Christian really thinking about his faith.

To explain the joke in question, he was pointing out that some superstitious fundamentalist Christians at that time in America wore crucifixes yet didn't really understand why they did, as crucifictions at the time are said to have been on a stake and the actual symbol of Christianity was a fish, so is sort of missing the point entirely and given the fact there's over a hundred sects of Christianity within itself the believers can't even agree amongst themselves on what dogma to follow/symbology to display.

Whether someone labels themself a Christian, an Atheist or a Satanist, the point of the joke was simply to ask why? Which does show insight as he was raised in a Southern Baptist household and his parents, and his church, brandished the cross out of respect, admiration and reminder of the suffering Jesus Christ went through.

So not intended to get one to question their faith, just to question why they make their faith a public, rather than private, matter.

Whether or not you are bowled over, you have to admit it's a pretty weighted point to make in a three line gag.

*** I have no personal opinion on any of this. I will never discuss Religon, ever. I'm just explaining the joke that you put the "eh" emoticon next to when Matthew quoted it. ***

I am going to watch the Bill Hicks American thing.
But because he has a finite body of work, I think I've heard most of it before.

I'd be interested to see his later or very last concerts though, I imagine they are quite different from his earlier work.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 29 2011, 9:57 PM BST

To explain the joke in question, he was pointing out that some superstitious fundamentalist Christians at that time in America wore crucifixes yet didn't really understand why they did, as crucifictions at the time are said to have been on a stake and the actual symbol of Christianity was a fish, so is sort of missing the point entirely and given the fact there's over a hundred sects of Christianity within itself the believers can't even agree amongst themselves on what dogma to follow/symbology to display.

Whether someone labels themself a Christian, an Atheist or a Satanist, the point of the joke was simply to ask why? Which does show insight as he was raised in a Southern Baptist household and his parents, and his church, brandished the cross out of respect, admiration and reminder of the suffering Jesus Christ went through.

So not intended to get one to question their faith, just to question why they make their faith a public, rather than private, matter.

Whether or not you are bowled over, you have to admit it's a pretty weighted point to make in a three line gag.

*** I have no personal opinion on any of this. I will never discuss Religon, ever. I'm just explaining the joke that you put the "eh" emoticon next to when Matthew quoted it. ***

They understood why they wore crucifixes.. the reasons they did was because they were Christians.

That is there symbol. It's really not complicated JD. It has been chosen by them.

Christians at the time of when was the symbol of a fish? I guess after he was crucified and when it was probably not safe to stroll around saying I am a Christian. I'm guessing he wasn't killed for flouting catering laws at public events.

Why people make their faith public is why it is generally called a faith... otherwise is is masons or somesuch.

No it is not weighted. It's a gag with no intellectual, philosophical or religious hindsight behind it whatsoever. May be a good gag but that is it. Funny way at looking at something you have never thought of in that way before but that really is it. Which, you know, is good enough... but let's not get carried away!

His last full show (unofficially) recorded is really sad to watch, at that point his chemotherapy was really draining him and all the way through he's rubbing his side because his pancreas is agony.

The material is profound though. There's a sense of urgency throughout everything and a lot of the "What's the deal with airlines....?" kind of structure is thrown out entirely.

Here's a link Steve if you want to download (free) many of the shows. http://www.countsofthenetherworld.com/mp3s/billhicks/index.html

The show titled "Igbys" is one of the last few in the weeks before his death.

Quote: Marc P @ August 29 2011, 10:13 PM BST

They understood why they wore crucifixes.. the reasons they did was because they were Christians.

That is there symbol. It's really not complicated JD. It has been chosen by them.

Christians at the time of when was the symbol of a fish? I guess after he was crucified and when it was probably not safe to stroll around saying I am a Christian. I'm guessing he wasn't killed for flouting catering laws at public events.

Why people make their faith public is why it is generally called a faith... otherwise is is masons or somesuch.

No it is not weighted. It's a gag with no intellectual, philosophical or religious hindsight behind it whatsoever. May be a good gag but that is it. Funny way at looking at something you have never thought of in that way before but that really is it. Which, you know, is good enough... but let's not get carried away!

I'm not copping out here Marc, but I'm genuinely NOT discussing religon, not here, not with you, not anywhere.

That explanation of the joke is a copy and paste.

That is all.

Cheers Jack.
Perhaps not a comfortable watch, but should be interesting

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 29 2011, 10:20 PM BST

Cheers Jack.
Perhaps not a comfortable watch, but should be interesting

Yeah, the vid's on YouTube, the links I posted are just audio though. The Relentlesss gig is top drawer. The gigs in England are fresh spins on old material as well.