London Open Mics / Open Spots Page 2

Or maybe it's an arrogance to think your talent is sufficent to deserve a free ticket?

Quote: sootyj @ August 8 2011, 12:19 AM BST

Or maybe it's an arrogance to think your talent is sufficent to deserve a free ticket?

Huh? You're an act, not an audience member, there's nothing arrogant about it. Go ahead and pay if you hate money.

I need to walk away. I'm walking away.

Nah I just like to know there's loads of gigs out there. Most of the people I know running gigs are up and coming standups. And are either on JSA or minimun wage whilst they chase the dream.

So I sympathise if they think everyone in the audience should pay the modest door fee. Especially if they make up a substanital chunk of the audience.

If they're poor, they should concentrate on gigging then, rather than setting up nights that don't seem to be able to pay for themselves. That would be my first thought anyway.

Where as I am the good fairy bestowing hilarious comedy and modest door fees.

I never actually paid a door fee, so I have no idea why am I arguin this,

how about comedians pay a sliding fee depending on how much the audience laughs?

Woohoo 2 more gigs at comedy bin in September and they very nicely asked if I could bring friends.

Anyone want to be Sootyj's friend?

You are part if the problem.

What problem?

These people seem to be after acts, www.laughtershock.co.uk no idea what the gig is like though.

DON'T DO PAY TO PLAY. Here's a great explanation of why from someone far more eloquent than I. http://www.pearshapedcomedy.com/CRAPP.htm

Also, with the number of gigs that there are that are free why would anyone pay to play?

Comedy bin gigs vary from very good to playing to 10 other acts. They are bringer gigs but they are free.

Laughtershock, can be a bit variable in terms of audience numbers but is not a "bringer" or a P2P.

Try also, Comedy Virgins (bringer), Comedy Slappers (bringer), TNT (bringer), 5 minutes of fame (bringer), Pear Shaped (not P2P or bringer) or any one of hundreds of others.

I don't particularly like "bringer" gigs but the majority of London open mic gigs are and I'm prepared to bring a friend, I'm not prepared to pay for the pleasure of entertaining other people though.

Just realised I started this thread and haven't looked at it since. I really should come here more often. But shouldn't I get email notifications?

Also, I think I made a major error in moving to London, as far as my comedy aspirations are concerned.

Phil,

I'm really shocked to hear that - I was envious of you being in London, with what I thought would be wall-to-wall venues?!

Is it the format of the open-spots that is stopping you or the availability? Does Y go with you to gigs?

Dean

There are a million different places to play, but also millions of acts, so possibly harder to stand out or get noticed. Plus lots of the nights you'll obviously end up playing to very few people.

Quote: philswales @ August 28 2011, 9:48 PM BST

Just realised I started this thread and haven't looked at it since. I really should come here more often. But shouldn't I get email notifications?

You need to opt in by ticking the tick box when you post.