Lucy & James New Zero Budget Sitcom

Hello all,

I've been wanting to make the leap into comedy for some years now, and have made my first foray by writing and directing a 3 part mini-series to showcase me as a director. It's called Lucy & James, it's about a couple (almost 30!) who both lose their jobs on Monday and the week that follows.

We've made three 20 ish minute episodes that'll launch online later this year. This is my first project as a writer / director having spent the last 6 years as an editor / cameraman on various TV.

We made Lucy & James with two great actors, Lucy Leigh and James Alper and we made it for no money, filming on Canon Digital SLR cameras.

It's about our situation, which was that myself and my partner both effectively lost our jobs on the same day (we were freelance and worked together) when the Tories axed the education channel we were working for. Sitting around unemployed for a couple of months I thought about how odd a situation it would be for most couples, especially as a lot never spend that much time together (if they work apart!). So that was the genesis for the idea.

Here's the 3 minute trailer!

http://www.vimeo.com/27616106

What I'd like to share with you is a trailer for the mini-series we've made. We'll be posting the episodes online soon to be shared but I'd love to know what you all think of the trailer, and the premise for the series.

My aim for it was to show what could be done for zero budget (giving myself something to do whilst out of work!) as well as hopefully making people laugh!

I think a lot of people can relate to being out of work (sadly) and also of the realities of turning 30 and realising that you haven't achieved what you thought you would by that age!

The production values obviously aren't as high as 'real' TV and we shot each episode in 2 days.

I'd really value any feedback or criticism of those taking the time to watch it and will update our progress as we finish the episodes and post them online.

Thanks.

Ewan

Hey Ewan,

I guess I'm in the target audience for this as I just turned 30 a month back and I got fired on my birthday. Life has been kind.

I only saw the first half as the vid was v.slow loading for me.

But I liked the two title characters. I think the simple plot is a really good
idea, which I've not seen before and should give you a good mine of material.

From the or three minutes I watched I saw a couple of good shots, the piles of DVDs for example, shots like this raise the showcase above average and I guess for future static exchanges (conversations on the couch) it'd be good to have a sense of lethargy/boredom/waiting, sat back instead of forwards, little touches.
that reflect the gradual descent into unkempt, ungroomed, sloths. The slow loss of belief.

This, in my opinion, relates the experience and mindset truthfully and keeps things the right side of wacky.

I'm guessing they go from under eachother's feet to learning something about their compatibility when forced together all day everyday, and I hope it inlcudes the jobsearch process (recieving No Thanks letters every day) getting a hard time trying to claim financial assistance (without dragging down the tone) - as that removes any potential suggestion it glamourizes the jobless lifestyle.

All in all, big respect for what you're doing
and I really hope it leads somewhere, which I'm
sure it will, as I said, it's a really good idea.

Now Go Get A Job!!

Looks pretty funny and well made. I will definatley be watching the series when you have it up. I think the premise is great to and I can imagine some really funny stuff happening in the series.