Entered gong show at the comedy store...

Signed up a couple of months back, and now, with a matter of days to go they've sprung a disclaimer on me allowing them to video my gig and use it on their website etc without needing my permission. I don't want to sign it, so what's the best way of getting out of it?

I could say it seems a bit unfair them springing it on me and hope I can talk my way out of it, or I could edit the disclaimer before I print it off and hope they don't notice, changing the wording slightly, or the date. But I don't know how much of a sense of humour they'd have about it if they did notice.

Or I could just sign it...

sign it who cares?

I mean you're not Hitler or BinLader?

are you.....

Quote: Anon @ August 2 2011, 6:21 PM BST

Signed up a couple of months back, and now, with a matter of days to go they've sprung a disclaimer on me allowing them to video my gig and use it on their website etc without needing my permission. I don't want to sign it, so what's the best way of getting out of it?

I could say it seems a bit unfair them springing it on me and hope I can talk my way out of it, or I could edit the disclaimer before I print it off and hope they don't notice, changing the wording slightly, or the date. But I don't know how much of a sense of humour they'd have about it if they did notice.

Or I could just sign it...

Can see why you'd feel that's a bit of a cheek, but if you do well then it's quite good publicity, and if you don't do well then they probably won't use it (fingers crossed!). Is there a contact there who could clarify for you things like how long it'll be available, will it be able to be copied, can you add it to your showreel, etc?

If you don't want to sign it, do a different gig (this isn't your first is it??!!).

Don't try to gt out of it- if it's their policy then there isn't much you can do. Decide whether you want to do the gig based on the terms they are asking.

Quote: Anon @ August 2 2011, 6:21 PM BST

I think it'll be hard to get out of. Let's face it, they are hardly short of people wanting to take part. What probally will happen is you'll do the gig, it'll end up on the website and that's the end of it.

Hey there anon, I'm on the same night as you I'm guessing.

Unless you feel REALLY strongly about it, I'd just weigh it up against how badly do you want to do king gong, as it isn't the be all and end all, backroom open mics are less hostile and untaped but if your material and delivery's strong you'll last the full five and so will benefit from the hypothetical exposure.

(if you win and blag an open spot, it'd still be taped, if you peformed at any level I think it would be - you aren't signing over copyright or anything though, just the images of that night's peformance)

You can purchase a DVD of your bit afterwards for like a fiver or something, obviously things are taped for security, incident or God forbid, evidence in a libel case. But odds are they won't use it anywhere, and if they did it would be in a positive light (because you ripped, not cos you messed up)

I don't know the ins and outs but if you post this same q up on the manchester comedy forum, or even good ol' chortle many people and the club mcs will know the specifics.

If you're geared up for winning the evening though I honestly wouldn't worry about and lap up the evening, your material'll prob be different in a couple of months or so anyway.

Hope to see ya there, good luck (but not too much, eh?)

If you're really fussed cancel the gig and turn up on the night, they usually have a couple of people from the audience.