You really do need to be part of this...

Wouldn't normally do this sort of thing - and I know it's a comedy site and all, but can I urge you to go here:-

http://www.facebook.com/boycottNOTW

It's all kicking off.

Freedom for Tooting!!

eh

I thought about starting that.

You have to buy it first to boycott it and then most NOW readers don't care.

Quote: Chappers @ July 5 2011, 11:06 PM BST

I thought about starting that. You have to buy it first to boycott it and then most NOW readers don't care.

Sometimes it can work. Disgraceful Hillsborough coverage damaged Sun sales in Liverpool.

Or sign the petition for a public enquiry:

http://hackinginquiry.org/

Quote: chipolata @ July 5 2011, 11:14 PM BST

Sometimes it can work. Disgraceful Hillsborough coverage damaged Sun sales in Liverpool.

But toilet roll sales soared as a result.

A lad in my year at school lost his older brother at Hillsborough, so as you can imagine, I've never bought the Sun or News of the World.

I would have thought a good way might be to buy the NOW this Sunday and then everyone email the advertisers to say that if they don't stop advertising there we will never buy their products again.

I think I heard that Ford were pulling out until an enquiry was complete.

Hit them in the pocket and forget about appealing to their moral side.

Quote: Oldrocker @ July 6 2011, 12:18 AM BST

I would have thought a good way might be to buy the NOW this Sunday and then everyone email the advertisers to say that if they don't stop advertising there we will never buy their products again.

I think I heard that Ford were pulling out until an enquiry was complete.

Hit them in the pocket and forget about appealing to their moral side.

There's a list, on the page I gave a link to, of all the leading advertiser's CEO's so you can send a stinky e-mail saying just that.

All this free advertising for them.

Quote: Leevil @ July 6 2011, 12:23 AM BST

All this free advertising for them.

How exactly?

I doubt the British Public will be so enraged as to stop buying the paper, even with these latest revelations. Those that buy can't go a week without finding out who is shagging who. It will be those that don't buy anyway who will be enraged.

I watched Sky News last night and there someone reviewing the papers was telling everyone to boycott with extreme passion. Turns out he was a journalist for a rival paper.

They will do what it takes to retain the advertisers, if that means slashing prices for a couple weeks they will.

There seems to have been some high settlement figures for what appears to be a handful of cases. If there are thousands of these cases out there that might be the danger to NOTW

This is actually quite vile and disgraceful. British tabloids appear to be able to do and say whatever they want and get away with it. We need a PCC with teeth, not a spineless organisation in the pocket of the press. And we need parliament to legislate. Although it's hardly likely to happen considering that MP's are terrified of the press and won't do anything to anger them.

This is because the Press run the country.

I don't buy any newspapers but I will be buying the "Independent on Sunday" this week as a show of solidarity for their efforts in breaking this story and bringing it back to the top of the agenda (after News International, the Government, the Police and David Cameron all tried to brush it under the carpet).

I've also written emails to all the CEOs of the major companies who advertise in the NotW, see here for their details, http://www.bitterwallet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/ceo-chief-exec-list-notw.pdf

I really do think that this is something where the public CAN make a difference, by kicking up a fuss, boycotting News International media and making advertisers think twice about giving them money.

Ford have already pulled out of advertising in the NotW, which is going to cost the paper £4M which is 10% of it's advertising income.