Birding

Just a gentle one.

EXT. FISHING LAKE - DAY

PETER FIDDLES WITH HIS FISHING GEAR THEN TAKES HIS SEAT AND BRINGS HIS FISHING ROD BACK SHARPLY; HIS FISHING LINE GETS STUCK UP A TREE WITH THE JUICY BAIT DANGLING DOWN. HE CALMLY LOOKS AROUND AND TURNS HIS CHAIR TO FACE THE TREE; HE SITS DOWN AND ASSUMES HIS FISHING POSITION. ANOTHER FISHERMAN, GEOFF, COMES OVER.

GEOFF
What are you doing?

PETER
[WITHOUT TURNING TO FACE HIM] I'm birding.

GEOFF
What's that?!

PETER
You've not heard of it?

GEOFF
Well, I've...you know...I've been busy with other things and...

A BLACKBIRD TAKES THE JUICY BAIT; PETER CALMLY REELS THE BLACKBIRD IN AND HOLDS IT GENTLY.

PETER
Hmm, must be about 2lbs!

GEOFF CURLS THE CORNERS OF HIS MOUTH AND RAISES HIS EYEBROWS LOOKING MILDLY IMPRESSED.

GEOFF
Are you going to put it back?

PETER
Of course, birding's a humane sport.

GEOFF GOES TO HIS FISHING GEAR, TURNS HIS CHAIR TO FACE THE TREES AND CASTS HIS FISHING LINE ON TO A BRANCH THEN SITS BACK IN WAIT.

END OF SKETCH

Loved it :D

I read it once and I didn't get it.
I read it again and I thought it was masterful.

As the young 'uns say "LOL".

:D I'm glad it made sense! Thanks.

Like the idea, but not the end.

It was fine, it worked and you could relate to it, not bad at all, silly and I like silly.

Very nice but I also think it could do with an ending more worthy of the build up.

Can't be humane if the fishing gear involves a hook, lord knows what damage gets done to fish or birds. Agreed that it is silly, but it didn't make me laugh, but interestingly I can picture as a decent sketch.

Thanks for your thoughts. Wave

What a terrific idea.
It just made me want more.
I think this could be a bit longer as there's more to explore

Reminds of the time I was ledgering for carp when the rod tip whanged off at right angles...

At the same time a coot in the middle of the lake started flapping about wildly and I remember thinking 'I wish that f**king duck would piss off so I can land this huge carp I'd just hooked...'

After a short while it slowly dawned on me that I'd actually hooked the worm stealing coot, bastard..!

Be careful, you're well on the road to dogging with sketches like this...

I liked it not sure about the end maybe need something a bit bigger? but sketch is great.

I really liked the idea, but I'm not sure the sketch did it justice. No real ideas on how to improve though.

I reckon its flawless as it is but if you wanted a bigger out you could do a wipe, show an hour or so later and have about ten fisherman all in a row all angling toward the trees.