How slutty are you? Page 2

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 15 2011, 3:27 PM BST

Twasn't.

It was about the demonisation of rape victims; referred to as 'slut' and 'dressing like that, she was asking for it' type opinions.

A lot of protesting though to countenance a clichéd remark by a mid-rank Canadian police officer.

Also not sure if the people the slut march is aimed to challenge will fully understand its ironic use.

Perhaps they should get Al Murray to front it.

This guy deserves a reverse gangbang as reward for his efforts:

Castration is always the best response, irrespective of what the question is.

E.g.

Question: Do you want a sausage with your eggs?
Response: Has the chef just been castrated then?

Quote: Marc P @ June 15 2011, 3:31 PM BST

Do left wing men finder it harder to get laid than right wing men? (resists the breast gag)

Which wing does Ryan Giggs play on?

This whole slut walk has annoyed the heck out of me and I was trying to work out why.

And here's my answer so far.

First of all the poor police officer who started it off, didn't say
"dress in revealing clothes and you get raped, then it's your fault."

He said (paraphrasing)

"Dress in revealing clothes and you make yourself more vulnerable."

Bearing in mind this was a talk on keeping yoursafe at uni for first year students. Many of whom were living away from home, going out on their own for the first etc. Pretty sensible advice. Right up there with lock your bedroom window if you don't want your telly nicked and don't get wasted the night before your first lecture.

The protest seemed a horrible example of the modern trend of "I don't know what I want, but I want it now and you can't stop me!"

An idiotic droning dirge of complaint. That seems to cover everything from student fees to these slut walks. Which seem to be saying "It's my right to wander around in my underwear conforming to every negative self image stereotype propagated by the beauty industry to sell laxative diet pills, 50 quid arse cream and eating disorders"

Turn it around supposing a female cop had told a bunch of male students "don't get to wasted your first week or you'll be eating pot noodles for the first term."

And we then had "lad walks" blokes with their arses and beer guts hanging out and signs reading "Don't tell the fella he can't have stella"

Protesting for the right to be vicitimised is pretty stupid.

Sorry SootyJ have to disagree with this one. I think you are missing the point. You seem to be nudging towards the Burka. Guidelines for how women should dress? It's not a good step.

Quote: Marc P @ June 16 2011, 9:56 AM BST

Sorry SootyJ have to disagree with this one. I think you are missing the point. You seem to be nudging towards the Burka. Guidelines for how women should dress? It's not a good step.

That's not quite what he said Marc, in fairness and certainly not what he meant (if I can speak for you soots). While I hope no-one here would say a scantily clad woman was 'asking for it' I would say that said scantily clad woman was more likely to attract the attention of...unsavoury characters shall we say. It's a shame that that's the way it is, but that's the way it is.

Quote: Marc P @ June 16 2011, 9:56 AM BST

Sigh not what I am saying at all!

Just that a bit of sensible advice is not blaming women for being raped.

Isn't that obvious?

It's not "a shame", it's ridiculous. A man would never receive similar treatment just based on how they were dressed; I'm not even sure what constitutes "dressing provocatively" if you're male. Calling these events "Slutwalks" was a big mistake. I don't think that its quite possible to reclaim a word like "slut", just as feminists' efforts to reclaim "c**t" has been just as ineffectual. Organising an event in which women (and men) 'can' dress a certain way, but only within the confines of admitting that they are sluts, a word for me still fraught with horrible meanings, does nothing to fix the issues. Men taking part is a good thing. It draws attention to just how ridiculous it is to decide that women shouldn't be allowed to dress a certain way just because they're women. Even in summer, when I decide to SHOCK not wear tights, I get leered at on trains (Don't flatter yourself, Robyn, right?), so this is a much bigger issue than if I decided to wander around just in my underwear and killer heels. I don't think that Slutwalks are necessarily the way to go about changing things, but acknowledging the prejudice and causing people to talk about it is certainly a step.
Someone also once pointed out to me, however, the fact that the walks are predominantly participated in by white women. This is thought to be due to the other issues faced by women of African or other descent, but it still creates a system of privilege in which certain women, certain "sluts" are allowed to dress like this. It also seems to suggest that Slutwalks are by some, including me, seen as a pastiche of what protests regarding women's rights should be.

Quote: Rob H @ June 16 2011, 10:20 AM BST

That's not quite what he said Marc, in fairness and certainly not what he meant (if I can speak for you soots). While I hope no-one here would say a scantily clad woman was 'asking for it' I would say that said scantily clad woman was more likely to attract the attention of...unsavoury characters shall we say. It's a shame that that's the way it is, but that's the way it is.

Bang on the nail.

If I use an ipad on the bus and get mugged, I wasn't asking for it. I don't get turned on by being mugged.

But you know I could have been a bit smarter.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ June 16 2011, 10:32 AM BST

It's not "a shame", it's ridiculous. A man would never receive similar treatment just based on how they were dressed;

Men and women are diferent and are treated diferently.

Unfair but true.

I mean everytime I go for a job with kids or mainly female clients. I have to put up with being considered a sexual predator (i flipping wish).

They're treated differently, but they shouldn't be. The way to fix things like this - which are problems - is to treat them as problems, to address them, not to just accept them as an unfortunate status quo.

It's a much bigger issue than all of this. I am proud to say that I have never gone to a fancy dress party wearing a costume with a title including "slutty" or "naughty". But, every week at work without fail (especially at Hallowe'en) a female customer will reject an outfit because it's not short enough, or it isn't tight enough, or it doesn't flatter her cleavage. Society tells women that they are put on the earth to look attractive, to dress attractively; that costume parties are an excuse to show off as much flesh as possible. Then, if in "normal society" they wear clothes which they have essentially been told they should be wearing (some take it to extremes, admittedly), they are asking for trouble, or could've been smarter but hey - less appealing to men.

Of course and teaching men not to be rapists instinctively makes more sense
But until then don't shoot the messenger

SF has the right of the matter.

It is not about the right to wear whatever clothes they like. It is about men not feeling they are ever justified in raping women. It's simple. The advice is don't walk alone at night etc in dark and dangerous places. Women of all ages shapes and yes... dress styles.. get raped all the time. It's probably a small minority who are dressed in the way you advise against. The slutwlak is an ironic addressing of that. The notion that men must be protected against themselves!!

Quote: Marc P @ June 16 2011, 10:50 AM BST

SF has the right of the matter.

You're just saying that to shut me up. ;)

Shut up you and put some tights on!