Assisted Dying Page 2

I didn't watch the programme, however I have written a 24-page letter of complaint to the BBC.

Quote: Gokkun @ June 14 2011, 2:43 PM BST

I didn't watch the programme, however I have written a 24-page letter of complaint to the BBC.

:D

I feel that unless we have personally experienced this - as the patient, the potential assistant, family and friends, GP and so on - we can't really know what we would choose if it happened to us.

I just watched it on BBC iPlayer and I must say that someone had to do it, you just can't hide from these things. However I made the stupid mistake of listening to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UspBs3DGQ&feature=related during the last few minutes and ended up blubbering like an injured 2 year old.

It does help to make sure the bits round the back are done properly.

There are lots of people who I would like to help to commit suicide. None of them are terminally ill.

I've often thought that if I ever get diagnosed with a terminal illness, I'd choose my own time and method of death before the pain and incapacity set in.

I'd get a bottle of champagne, swig it all down, with perhaps a dozen sleeping tablets and jump of Westminster bridge as big ben chimes midnight.

Someone who studied law recently was telling me that a good point against it is that families may try to off wealthy relatives this way.

How long has he been studying law? I would expect most law students to have some idea of the difference between suicide and murder.

Quote: Afinkawan @ June 14 2011, 7:06 PM BST

How long has he been studying law?

She!

She had a whole list of reasons for and against, but the one I mentioned wasn't one I'd thought about before.

In principle I'm in favour of assisted dying. There would of course have to be safeguards, maybe a signed declaration of the persons wishes made in the presence of a solicitor.

Pretty much the same sort of rules that govern making a will, but maybe tightened up even more to prevent undue outside influence.

Quote: Timbo @ June 14 2011, 2:40 PM BST

Opening a vein in the bath has always struck me as a dignified way to go; it is said to be rather relaxing, the mess justs go down the plughole, and you are left with an intact, if rather pale, corpse for the wake.

All corpses are pale, I think, or grey once the blood stops pumping around.

But they don't bother to show that on TV or Fillums as it might cost too much in grey skin-makeup

Quote: Ben @ June 14 2011, 6:57 PM BST

Someone who studied law recently was telling me that a good point against it is that families may try to off wealthy relatives this way.

Quote: Afinkawan @ June 14 2011, 7:06 PM BST

How long has he been studying law? I would expect most law students to have some idea of the difference between suicide and murder.

It's quite an obvious worry really. Anyone could get a rich senile relative put down.

Careful Chappers sometimes poor old people get offed just for being crotechty old bastards.

Quote: sootyj @ June 15 2011, 11:52 AM BST

Careful Chappers sometimes poor old people get offed just for being crotechty old bastards.

Careful, Sooty, you're not getting any younger.