NewsRevue again! Page 71

Im back on the comedy writing scene after taking a long break (6 years). Spent 1.5 hours on a song last night, still don't know if its that funny the comedy song writing doesn't get any easier does it. Good Luck to everyone like me trying to write for Newsrevue this week.

Is item 18 on the running order a comedy song by Philip Glass?

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 7 2011, 9:19 PM BST

Is item 18 on the running order a comedy song by Philip Glass?

No, it's a space for the funny bit. And they've forgotten to include it again!!!

(Hmmm....shall I hit 'post'? Oh, go on then)

I've sent something in today. My first ever attempt. Just hoping to get some feedback (which I've asked for), more than anything. That way I can see if it's worth continuing with submissions.

Good luck Park Bench. Maybe give the treason show a go too, next show not for a couple of months now though

It's weird that the mysterious Number 18 on the running order is blank.

Wasn't Question 18 on the recent Census the question that was also blank?

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ May 8 2011, 8:28 PM BST

It's weird that the mysterious Number 18 on the running order is blank.

Wasn't Question 18 on the recent Census the question that was also blank?

Ah, so it's deliberate, is it?

Isn't that a bit sophisticated and subtle for a Newsrevue audience? To be honest, I assumed that the majority of them come to the show in order to shelter somewhere warm and out-of-the-rain?

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 8 2011, 9:26 PM BST

Ah, so it's deliberate, is it?

Isn't that a bit sophisticated and subtle for a Newsrevue audience? To be honest, I assumed that the majority of them come to the show in order to shelter somewhere warm and out-of-the-rain?

I hear Paul McCartney once attended the show. I'm not sure whether they closed the show, that night, with Paul McCartney, Bono and George Michael singing Hey Jude with topical lyrics, but they probably did.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Griff @ May 8 2011, 10:46 PM BST

Tim, have you ever seen Newsrevue? I just wonder why you have such a bee in your bonnet about it.

Of course I haven't! Why, is that really the point here? If members are going to be forced to actually watch shows before being allowed to gently rib them on their assigned thread, then the BCG is really going to be in trouble. :D

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 8 2011, 11:09 PM BST

Of course I haven't! Why, is that really the point here? :D

You're just bitter because you'll never have the razor sharp edge of satire with which NR salami slices the news.
You'd never think to write a song about Maddy McCanne to the the tune of the Can Can. Or a song about Bin Laden being raped to the tune of an English Country Garden.

Weep Walker weep for your loss.

Laughing out loud

You see, Griff? Just harmless, (mostly) baseless, bitter sneering - that's all that's going on here. ;)

Cheers, mate. ;)

*starts writing comedy parody song... 'I saw that NewsRevue today oh boy/Four thousand songs about Ed Milliband/And though the lyrics didn't scan/I still became a fan/Nobody was really sure if they'd heard these jokes ten times before...'

:(

*screws-up paper and throws in bin*

I saw that Newsrevue today
I know a writer that has just got paid
And though the pay was rather sparse
His charming use of farce
Made all the people laugh

I guess that's why you're wrong...

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 9 2011, 12:25 AM BST

*starts writing comedy parody song... 'I saw that NewsRevue today oh boy/Four thousand songs about Ed Milliband/And though the lyrics didn't scan/I still became a fan/Nobody was really sure if they'd heard these jokes ten times before...'

Dear oh dear, three basic mistakes you've made there....

a) The song should be one of those "songs that seem like they are a part of gay culture though no gay person actually listens to them" ABBA, Village People, Cabaret, etc.

b) There has to be at least one mention of David Cameron being 'posh' and Nick Clegg being his 'fag'.

c) You appear to have strayed into 'satire'. Return to 'topical' AT ONCE.

Homework: Write about the recent AV referendum to the tune of "The Winner Takes It All". The song should include a reference to David Cameron's poshness and Eric Pickles' weight.