Still Game - Christmas and Hogmany Specials

First one was shown on BBC1 Scotland tonight (think it's on 28th Dec for the rest of the UK). Superb as usual. I was surprised the British Comedy Awards didn't recognise it this year.

Looking forwad to the Hogmanay one now. Cool

I don't think it gets the publicity in England so I'm not really aware it's on. I have seen it once but wasn't that impressed though.

I have seen it once but wasn't that impressed though.

WOW!!!!!!!! How could you possibly say that about Still Game, one of the best Scottish comedies to hit the screens in years. Some of the best character acting I've seen in recent times (even my Canadian wife loves it)

I love Still Game. One of the best sitcoms from the last couple of years.

I like the way that it's like a hard-edged version of 'Last of the Summer Wine'.

I have seen it once but wasn't that impressed though.

Quote: SivoxII @ December 24, 2007, 1:44 AM

WOW!!!!!!!! How could you possibly say that about Still Game, one of the best Scottish comedies to hit the screens in years. Some of the best character acting I've seen in recent times (even my Canadian wife loves it)

And your argument being?

Quote: David Chapman @ December 24, 2007, 8:32 PM

And your argument being?

anyone who doesn't like what I like is stupid. No argument there.

Whistling nnocently Laughing out loud

The thing is they don't give subtitles.

Quote: David Chapman @ December 26, 2007, 1:07 PM

The thing is they don't give subtitles.

I'm as Southern English as you can get, and I must admit I struggled a little on the earlier series - but it's better now. They've really started to make things easier for those of us south of the border in these later series I think - it must annoy them having to talk slower and use less local phrases but it's certainly widening their appeal.

I never eally have any trouble with understanding the accents, but I speak to Scottish people a fair bit on the phone at work. I guess I'm used to the accent.

... can't wait for the Hogmanay Special, on the edge of my seat until then.

Sounds uncomfortable.

Yup! ... I've been walking like Max Wall for the last 24 hours.

The best! Thank goodness I spotted this thread as I missed the first showing on the 23rd.

I think SG is one of the very best shows that's been on in recent years.

Totally agree Blenkinsop!!

My wife is impressed how well they can adapt to the characters/makeup (especially after I showed her how they appear in real life!)

This is where it gets tough, as you want Still Game to return with another series, but worry that the quality in material will drop! ... so do we want them to go out on a high, or struggle with new series?

Similar questions were asked of Father Ted, and although Dermot passed away, they say there were no plans for future episodes.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ December 27, 2007, 12:05 PM

The best! Thank goodness I spotted this thread as I missed the first showing on the 23rd.

I think SG is one of the very best shows that's been on in recent years.

Maybe I'll give it a try again.