Is The Office the last classic comedy... Page 6

Classic means survived the test of time. When studying the classics at Oxford one doesn't include Jeffrey Archer for instance. How much time is another question, but I think there has to be some kind of cultural shift for such analysis. Technology plays a part in this of course, as much as social mores, expectations etc etc.

I think 'classic' (in this context) means excellent according to enduring standards - standards that have survived the test of time.

We can indeed speak of a modern-day classic.

(The Classics are the study of of Classical Literature, etc.)

:)

Quote: JohnnyD @ April 12 2011, 10:39 AM BST

I think 'classic' (in this context) means excellent according to enduring standards - standards that have survived the test of time.

We can indeed speak of a modern-day classic.

(The Classics are the study of of Classical Literature, etc.)

I'd go along with this, and stick to my original choices, Peep Show and The Thick Of It.

By the way, JohnnyD, well done on the permanent 999 post count! ;)

The Jeffrey Archer bit was a joke. Oh dear. Sighs again and shakes head sadly.

Quote: Marc P @ April 12 2011, 1:29 PM BST

The Jeffrey Archer bit was a joke. Oh dear. Sighs again and shakes head sadly.

The BCG's no place for jokes, Marc.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 5 2011, 10:12 PM BST

Yes, plus she's a large woman who knows that the public loves a fat bird who makes fun out of herself. It makes a lot of female viewers feel happier about their own weight problems, it sort of confirms the myth that fat women have bubblier personalities, and it is a very sure way to become popular in Britain, as evidenced by the rabidly popular Dawn French before her. The formula - be fat, funny and female and you cannot fail on British TV. Miranda cannot go wrong now.

What a load of crap my friend!!!
Laughing out loud

When has being Tall = being Fat, Miranda is not fat just bigger because of her height, and Dawn French in her prime is gorgeous and so cuddley, I would not kick her out of bed that's for sure !!

I agree about Dawn French. She's got a lovely face. Yeah, she's big, but I can't see her not being as successful if she only weighed 10st.

^ I recently watched the first couple of series of F&S and was struck by how pretty Dawn French was in her twentys

......Until Lenny Henry got his hands on her....