The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 81

Quote: Declan @ March 15 2011, 7:02 PM GMT

Nine of the scripts came through our workshops.

Crikey that's a good advert for the workshops - that's like almost a quarter of the shortlist out of over 1200 plus entries.

Thanks to this competition I took my first steps into the writing world, and really enjoyed the process! Cheers sitcom mission.
I'm now filled with ideas for stage plays, sketch shows and sitcoms :-)
Although I didn't make the 32, I'm going to stick with my characters, they're kind of like my babies, or is that a little wierd?

Pleased to meet you all.

Quote: bushbaby @ March 15 2011, 7:38 PM GMT

There is so much to learn and it's not just about being funny. :) IMO, being funny is the easiest bit

I agree with this. It's easy to string a load of good gags together, the challenge is putting these gags into the mouths of believable and interesting characters and make sure that there's a reason for the characters to be saying what they are saying.

Otherwise it's either a stand-up routine or a script of what you and your buddies chatted about in the pub the other night.

Hmm... a good advert for the workshops. Who'd of thought!

Be interesting to know how many of the other 32 scripts were from writers unknown to the readers. Genuinely interested?

Quote: Purple @ March 15 2011, 10:31 PM GMT

Hmm... a good advert for the workshops. Who'd of thought!

Be interesting to know how many of the other 32 scripts were from writers unknown to the readers. Genuinely interested?

That should be......Who'd have thought

Quote: bushbaby @ March 15 2011, 10:39 PM GMT

That should be......Who'd have thought

*round of applause*

Of instead of Have is one of my many grammatical annoyances.

I should get out more.

Quote: Penge @ March 15 2011, 10:42 PM GMT

*round of applause*

Of instead of Have is one of my many grammatical annoyances.

I should get out more.

Mine too, both my grand children say it and I correct them constantly...to no avail :)

Having my grammar corrected by somebody who attended one of the workshops and STILL didn't get though is something I can live with...

...isn't this all beginning to sound like an ongoing advert for various workshops held by the judges? Fair play and everything - but worth bearing in mind.

Quote: Purple @ March 15 2011, 10:47 PM GMT

Having my grammar corrected by somebody who attended one of the workshops and STILL didn't get though is something I can live with...

...isn't this all beginning to sound like an ongoing advert for various workshops held by the judges? Fair play and everything - but worth bearing in mind.

Purple, it's said with tongue in cheek, I should remember to put a smiley :D

Maybe someone went to a workshop and wrote a genuinely good script... who'd of thought :)

(Smiley, check. Of, check)

Where do you get the yellow smileys from?

There it is :-)

Damn!

Think I'll stick to try writing for YA. Attempting to be funny is harder than walking into a lamppost.

Or maybe 9 people did!

And maybe, judging by previous years, some of those people seem to be house favourites! Which begs the question why do they need to keep attending the bloody workshops?

Judging by the winning selection we should ALL be going to these workshops. They really seem to be working the magic (in this very specfic competition anyhow...)

As long as there's a £5k deal on the table, that is. I must admit, getting that organised is impressive.

Oh well... I'm going to give up this posting business almsot as quickly as I took it up.

Quote: Purple @ March 15 2011, 11:10 PM GMT

Or maybe 9 people did!

And maybe, judging by previous years, some of those people seem to be house favourites! Which begs the question why do they need to keep attending the bloody workshops?

Judging by the winning selection we should ALL be going to these workshops. They really seem to be working the magic (in this very specfic competition anyhow...)

As long as there's a £5k deal on the table, that is. I must admit, getting that organised is impressive.

Oh well... I'm going to give up this posting business almsot as quickly as I took it up.

If you don't fancy a workshop, there's a lot of good advice on here....

http://www.robinkelly.btinternet.co.uk/sitcom3.htm

Face it if you didn't get through it's your fault, only 9 went on workshops the majority didn't and they still beat you, don't be bitter there's no growth without pain, accept and do something about it, do a course or read loads of books and keep typing honing your skills prove people wrong, you are funny people have told you so.

Perhaps I am cynical. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the posts. Perhaps it's the beer I've just had...but...there does seem to be some very strange comments on here!