Current radio comedy Page 53

I enjoyed Terry Wogan on tonights Just A Minute, especially in the round where Limerick was the subject.

I seem to have been alone in quite enjoying Tom Wrigglesworth.

Quote: chipolata @ February 28 2011, 1:38 PM GMT

Well, off top of head, I'd go for Ed Reardon's Week, Bleak Expectations, Cabin Pressure, Claire and the Community, and Party (I think it was called that, anyway, about a new political party, in which every episode was essentially a one act play - and very good it was).

For sitcoms only Claire and Bleak among recent output have done much for me, though I have been enjoying the re-runs of Rigor Mortis on 7.

With regards to Claire, Harry Venning certainly knows how to construct a radio sitcom. Not many do.

Quote: Griff @ March 1 2011, 1:17 PM GMT

Is that the Peter Davison one?

Yes, set in a pathology lab.

I enjoyed Jo Caulfield tonight (she's a very affable performer) but considering the vast number of writers credited to the show it's pretty ordinary material. Not quite Wrigglesworthian weak, but not far off at times.

Quote: chipolata @ March 1 2011, 8:57 PM GMT

I enjoyed Jo Caulfield tonight (she's a very affable performer) but considering the vast number of writers credited to the show it's pretty ordinary material. Not quite Wrigglesworthian weak, but not far off at times.

Right that's you off of my Christmas card list, Chip (my fiancée writes for the show).

;) :D

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 2 2011, 9:45 AM GMT

Right that's you off of my Christmas card list, Chip (my fiancée writes for the show).

;) :D

I'm sure she wrote one of the stand-out jokes. :)

Quote: chipolata @ March 3 2011, 9:46 AM GMT

I'm sure she wrote one of the stand-out jokes. :)

Haha, of course!

I completely understand when people say that Jo Caulfield's stuff is a bit "middle of the road" but I think that what she does she does very, very well and it works for a relatively mainstream audience on Radio 4, she's not pushing any comedic boundaries but she's funny and entertaining.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 3 2011, 9:55 AM GMT

Haha, of course!

I completely understand when people say that Jo Caulfield's stuff is a bit "middle of the road" but I think that what she does she does very, very well and it works for a relatively mainstream audience on Radio 4, she's not pushing any comedic boundaries but she's funny and entertaining.

I'd agree with that. I guess I was just a bit disappointed that in her first show back she chose to tackle the well-worn subject of bankers. In that respect, it felt too close to the recent Tom Wrigglesworth series.

But I agree that Caulfield is a tremendously engaging comic performer, and I'm always pleased to hear her on the radio.

I was interested in last night's episode of Mordrin McDonald, in the sense that they broadcasted the wrong episode. It was meant to be the final episode in the series, but instead they put out an episode that was on a month ago.

Quote: chipolata @ March 3 2011, 9:57 AM GMT

I'd agree with that. I guess I was just a bit disappointed that in her first show back she chose to tackle the well-worn subject of bankers. In that respect, it felt too close to the recent Tom Wrigglesworth series.

But I agree that Caulfield is a tremendously engaging comic performer, and I'm always pleased to hear her on the radio.

Sorry if I'm pointing out the blindingly obvious, but it was a repeat which first aired when the banking crisis and the "credit crunch" was at it's height, so the subject might not have been quite as "well-worn" at the time.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 3 2011, 10:25 AM GMT

I was interested in last night's episode of Mordrin McDonald, in the sense that they broadcasted the wrong episode. It was meant to be the final episode in the series, but instead they put out an episode that was on a month ago.

I have to be honest, Modrin's voice is so monotone that I daren't listen to this show when I'm driving as it sends me to sleep, it should be renamed "Mogadon McDonald", apologies to the very talented people who are involved in it (I love Jack Doherty) but I just can't get past that voice.

Quote: Griff @ March 3 2011, 11:11 AM GMT

Why are we having all these repeats? Isn't that what Radio 7 is for?

Agreed. Six thirty is the golden slot. It should be new stuff.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 3 2011, 11:10 AM GMT

Sorry if I'm pointing out the blindingly obvious, but it was a repeat which first aired when the banking crisis and the "credit crunch" was at it's height, so the subject might not have been quite as "well-worn" at the time.

That's enough out of you now, Cowards.

Quote: Timbo @ March 1 2011, 1:11 PM GMT

I seem to have been alone in quite enjoying Tom Wrigglesworth.

Not alone, I did enjoy the series, but really it was an idea that was stretched too thin when they took it beyond the original show about Virgin Trains.

I'd be amazed if it came back for a 2nd series. Tom is a likeable character though, he works well when he is bouncing off other people (such a Rhod Gilbert on his radio show). I'd like to hear him in something else.

I agree. Huh?