UK hip hop mockumentary: In The Mix Page 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Ai6Hlv_ck

New Ep! Would love to hear your thoughts.
This one starts the downward spiral to the finale!

Anyone check out the latest ep?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ovPBa91wT0
Todays episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCySJg1PvKo
New episode up today, can anyone tell me what they think of it?

Hi Jobey

I've been following these over the past few weeks and I'm still enjoying them a lot.

One thing I do think is that perhaps the editing needs to be a bit more decisive. Some scenes do run over a bit and could easily be trimmed back. I realise that the feel you're after is a 'fly on the wall' style show, but in these extended scenes and from a punter's point of view, they sometimes meander a bit with not a lot of focus in terms of moving the story on. I'd like to see tighter more story-focused scenes.

I felt that the last two (6&7?) before the latest party episode were a bit guilty of this and that not a lot really happened. The gig was good but once again, for me, it dragged and could've had a chop. It really came alive in the closing few minutes with the brawl. I'm missing input from the Bloom Trust and think that there are more story / conflict possibilities between them and the band where it might give the show more direction. I loved the older lady in ep.1 and thought that the contrast between her and the band was a great comic device.

The only other comment I'd make is that sometimes the sound is a bit indistinct and it can be a bit tricky to pick up all the dialogue.

All this sounds a bit negative but it's not intended as such. As you're looking for objective critique then it's where I feel that for me as a viewer, the show doesn't work. Bearing in mind that I really like them overall. In fact I really do like them a lot.

I hope you get this picked up somewhere and then with a combination of what you've got recorded already, plus maybe some new footage and tighter editing, I think you could have a great show on your hands.

I'm Looking forward to see how it all ends though.

It's a shame that others on here aren't picking up on these and I'd urge fellow posters if they have a chance or a spare twenty minutes, to check this out. It's really very good indeed.

BTW. This week's (imo) is a real return to form and is one of the best episodes of the series.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with what you mentioned about episode length.
We did stretch the footage as the original pilot was around 50 minutes which we basically doubled when we started the you tube channel.
I'm really glad you enjoyed and stuck with the show.
You should know I showed most of the cast and crew the really nice message you wrote a few pages back.

:)

My pleasure as I really do like this a lot.

It now makes a bit more sense that the original entire show was 50 mins, and that's why the segmented episodes are a bit slow on movement sometimes. I'd still be tempted to edit them to 5 mins each and cut away some of the flab. Reason being, is that if I'm a 'player in the business' looking at them as they're presented on You Tube I don't know that info, and I could just think they're not as sharp as perhaps edited versions might be.

Where are you at with it now? I notice the references to 2009 in the script. Is it still your hope to get it picked up or have you moved onto a new project since?

If I were you I'd punt it and re-punt it everywhere, and just keep making a bloody nuisance of yourself until you get it backed by a production Co or TV network.

Very best of luck.

I think this is a brilliant show. The acting and production values are superb and it made me laugh hard. It's better than the vast majority of stuff on TV.

Sounds like you're far more in the know about where to submit than I'll ever be. Perhaps satellite or freeview channels would pick it up if they were five minute segments? Yoot or music channels. You quite often see shorts popping up.

This is all briliant, I have watched most episodes. I am new on here,this is the first thing that I watched.
I agree with the feedback about it being a bit lenghty here and there, but I reckon there are loads of laughs, you just gotta get it. Very subtle.

I am interested to know if you have totally fooled everyboady at the gig (as they thought it was a real band) and was Ross from Ghost Town in on it as well or did he think you were serious?

I have shown quite a few people this and some are unsure if its real or not? Genius.

wow I'm so glad we posted it up here, the feedback has been great. Some places haven't taken it the same way but as long as a few people enjoyed the series that's the main thing.

Blenkinsop, I mentioned earlier in the thread that I tried to make the rounds at a few companies before we released it. They either didn't bother watching it or didn't understand the point/humour of it.
But now it's online, hopefully it can build up a following and they might reconsider their decision. It was filmed in late 2009 but in the timeline of the next series (if it happens) two years will have passed so that will be quite funny :)

alblurga, cheers for taking time to comment and writing nice things.
I could see it on a number of channels, they just have to commision us first!

Micky, thanks for watching and also spreading the word, keep doing it!
Our goal was realism so we kept the public in the dark where possible. But hired actors as well. It would take away the fun of figuring out which is which if I told you though.
But I will say the gig was all real and the promoter almost ripped up his release form until we realised he was winding us up too.
We thought it would be funny to start off serious and gradually make it so ridiculous it's unrecognisable as a serious documentary.

Case in point: todays penultimate episode, tell me what you think! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7ijnv8baA

Watched this week's and enjoyed it again. Liked the story twist and the old footage showing a bit of Jester's previous life. Good stuff.

Looking forward to seeing how it all ends up.

Just out of interest is the 50 min version available anywhere online?

It isn't currently. We were considering uploading it to vimeo once the series has aired on YouTube. I think it would be cool to have the original version available somethere.
As always, thanks for watching and commenting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFVxQyng5Do

The finale.
Thank you to everyone who watched and commented.
Hopefully we can make some more one day.

Just watched the first two, and other than the comments already posted about editing the episodes down to keep that comedic thrust, I can only think of good things to say.

You have avoided the cliched "Ali G" "Lee Nelson" type characters, made them believable yet comical at the same time. The production values are really good too- what did you film & edit on?

Thank you.. Sorry for the late reply.
I believe it was filmed on twin Sony Z1's.
Thanks again to everyone who watched and critiqued the show.
It was all taken on board.