CBEEBIES 'n' that... (writing for tots)

Yes, I said "tots" not, y'know... Rolling eyes

Any advice, links or ideas on where to start writing for that pre-school age? I can dive straight into it and draw a simple animal character, give it a mundane obstacle to overcome n that and everyone is happy by the end. But surely there must be more to it than that?

I haven't got commercial success in mind, my main audience would be my baby-niece. She maybe a bit to young at the moment but all this would be is for me to practice with, and her to eventually enjoy at some point. But I suppose any advice shared here can be applied to other related areas.

Do you mean animations and TV or books?

Animations :) Thanks, zooo. Missed out a major point there.

I now somebody who will be writing for CBeebies soon, but that's only because she was one of the winners of the recent BBC All Mixed Up opportunity.
Yeah, yeah, kiddie stuff is a far cry from All Mixed Up, but it obviously opened a number of doors for her in different BBC departments.

Probably not the only way to get a foot in the door, but I doubt there are any "unsolicited" methods.

They have a rolling commissioning scheme like CBBC so stuff can go in any time (apart from drama, that's a once a year meet around autumn I think)

So it's worth either trying to get signed-up with e-commissioning, or submitting an idea through an indie.

And they commission 20 ep runs!

Quote: Austin Allegro @ February 1 2011, 8:56 AM GMT

And they commission 20 ep runs!

Just don't sign away the merchandising rights!

Quote: Leevil @ January 26 2011, 6:11 PM GMT

Any advice, links or ideas on where to start writing for that pre-school age?

Stalk Justin Fletcher?

I'd love to write comedy for CBeebies... but their demographic demands a level of wit and sophistication which I've yet to achieve. :(

Eh? I have a few jottings on idea for kids.
The scene is set on a new estate called' New Build'
, my main character is a small dog called' Trio', [he only has 3 legs]. His best pal is a moggy called 'Solo', no she has requisit legs, but only 1 eye.
Late at night they are often joined by' half-wit' the owl, he obviousley lost the whoo to live.
They have lots of adventures overcoming their dissabilities, their main enemy is a boxer dog called' Steroid', whose owner roams the streets at night looking for opportunities.
Trio has an appliance to give him more stability, but he refuses to wear it, hence his late night escape via the cat-flap to meet his chums.
Solo and trio have quite good owners, but they often discuss how stupid pet owners can be, and subsequient suffering that all animal friends endure.

Errr I have drawn cartoons, not good, not sure how I could show these.
Any views welcome.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 2 2011, 3:09 AM GMT

I'd love to write comedy for CBeebies... but their demographic demands a level of wit and sophistication which I've yet to achieve. :(

:D

Hummm - don't really know what to say here, but it's the pictures and visuals that are key for pre-school shows. The writing is very much a secondary thing, especially as the little ones will happily watch the same thing again and again and again! :)

Also, if you're thinking of putting an animated series together, you'd need to get it optioned by a couple of channels at least (say Cbeebies in the UK and Playhouse Disney in the US) due to the high costs of making the series. Other than that, writing for pre-school/animation is more like writing for soaps or drama than sitcom. Someone will have written a show bible that sets out all of the characters, and then, a number of writers will write episodes for that series. You'll very much have to work within the boundaries of the show, rather than make it yourself!

If you're seriously interested in this, I'd recommend buying a book on writing for animation. It'll be able to tell you more about the in and outs of the process than I ever can! :)

Lxxx

PS - a lot of Cbeebies animation at the moment has come from picture books, like Wibbly Pig and Rastamouse, so it's not necessarily the case that you would choose to write a book or an animated series.

Quote: dellas @ February 2 2011, 4:12 AM GMT

Eh? I have a few jottings on idea for kids.
The scene is set on a new estate called' New Build'
, my main character is a small dog called' Trio', (he only has 3 legs). His best pal is a moggy called 'Solo', no she has requisit legs, but only 1 eye.
Late at night they are often joined by' half-wit' the owl, he obviousley lost the whoo to live.
They have lots of adventures overcoming their dissabilities, their main enemy is a boxer dog called' Steroid', whose owner roams the streets at night looking for opportunities.
Trio has an appliance to give him more stability, but he refuses to wear it, hence his late night escape via the cat-flap to meet his chums.
Solo and trio have quite good owners, but they often discuss how stupid pet owners can be, and subsequient suffering that all animal friends endure.

I think this idea is excellent. :) It could also easily be linked with educating our younger generation.

:) Thanks Tapped Silver!, not done anymore with it yet!.
Have you written anything?..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2MR2KUe_Hg

:D Very funny Nils!, I could manage those graphics, great idea!