Deterioration of comedy over the years Page 5

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 3 2011, 7:03 PM GMT

Comedy isn't a load of rubbish at all today, never go along with this sentiment. People were saying it in the 90's, despite there being classics in that decade such as 'One Foot in the Grave', 'Only Fools and Horses' 'Father Ted' 'The Thin Blue Line' and 'Men Behaving Badly' to name a few. Comedies been great over the last year aswell, some fantasic shows such as 'The Inbetweeners' 'Not Going Out' and 'Outnumbered' That also said, the last series of 'My Family' was also very good, despite it losing its best form (inevitable considering it's over 100 episode run). Also great efforts with 'The Old Guys' and 'The IT Crowd'.

So definetly not. People only remember the classic stuff of the sixties and seventies, which was absolute class, but there was also tosh from that era that nobody remembers as it's never repeated for that reason.

People were wrong about saying comedy was rubbish in the 1990s. One Foot In The Grave is my fave sitcom. But the thing is, there aren't any comedies on at the moment that will be classic in 20-40 years time.

Quote: zooo @ February 4 2011, 12:28 AM GMT

Do you actually watch any comedy? Or have you tried the first 2 or 3 shows that you came across and then given up?

zooo. I don't think you are getting my drift. Many people say that comedy is still good nowadays. I think it's not as good because it is not cleverly written and there isn't enough effort being put into scripts. If you like comedies that are just silly, that's just your opinion and I have nothing to do with your opinions.

Quote: lummycorks @ February 4 2011, 4:10 PM GMT

zooo. I don't think you are getting my drift. Many people say that comedy is still good nowadays. I think it's not as good because it is not cleverly written and there isn't enough effort being put into scripts. If you like comedies that are just silly, that's just your opinion and I have nothing to do with your opinions.

Exactly what I was trying to say. You have expressed it better than I've tried to. Thanks.

If you like comedies that are just silly, that's just your opinion and I have nothing to do with your opinions.

Yes, The Trip was just surreal, wasn't it?

:|

People were wrong about saying comedy was rubbish in the 1990s. One foot in the grave is my fave sitcom. But the thing is, there aren't any comedies on at the moment that will be classic in 20-40 years time.

There are. They're just not to your taste.

Also, you can't possibly know that until 20-40 years time, and you might not be here then!

In 40 years can we all agree to come back to this thread so we can cross-check?

Quote: Nat Wicks @ February 4 2011, 4:37 PM GMT

In 40 years can we all agree to come back to this thread so we can cross-check?

F**k no.

(Sorry for the foul language)

I am hurt :(

To be honest, I think there are some good comeides and some bad comedies.

I do think comedies have got worse, but some of the new things are still good -like Miranda and Outnumbered.
I agree ewith lummycorks saying that comedy has deteriorated and that old comedies was still cleverer but some stuff is still well done this time.

Quote: Griff @ February 5 2011, 9:56 AM GMT

Back so soon?

sorry?

Could you take more care with your grammar, spelling and use of capital letters, lummy? In accordance with the board rules. Thanks.

Why did you leave if you were planning to come back so soon, by the way?

Hmm, I'm a bit confused. Has Lummy Corks reincarcerated him/herself as Ultimate Chips, then?

Yes. Unless UltimateChips just happens to live in the same house as lummycorks. Which is always possible. ;)

Yes well they certainly seem to share the same peculiar keyboard.

I like the fact that yummycocks is listed as a "Resigned Member". Can I put that too? As I resigned myself to being a member of this place years ago!

Hahahahahahahahaha!

And my member resigned many moons ago. Even more hahas.