Deterioration of comedy over the years Page 2

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 2 2011, 8:56 PM GMT

No, there are loads of really great comedy shows; especially from America.

They had all that in the 70s, too; see Python, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, Dick Emery, and so on, and so on.

Yeah, but they actually had good comedy as well.

Quote: David Bussell @ February 3 2011, 1:20 PM GMT

I genuinely think we're living in a golden age of TV comedy right now. Sure, there's some absolute dreck out there (particularly from these shores I'm sorry to say) but there's a glut of quality programming to more than balance that out.

Of course that's provided you like all the same things I like.

But do you think it is cleverly written?

Quote: lummycorks @ February 3 2011, 4:29 PM GMT

But do you think it is cleverly written?

Depends what you mean. If you mean a collection of well-structured scenes populated by relatable characters that drive funny stories that build to a satifying conclusion... then yeah.

Quote: Rico El Vista @ February 3 2011, 3:02 AM GMT

Back in the 60s and 70s, the fact there were only 3 TV channels meant that only the 'cream' of talent made it to the transmission stage, and producers were able to pick and choose the top quality writers and performers at leisure. Sure, there was some duff material released in that era, or the programme-makers wouldn't be human.

The BBC especially gave a comedy concept the benefit of the doubt in many cases, comissioning entire series rather than pilots, allowing ideas to flourish naturally, without being rushed with un-natural audience ratings expectations, like we see now.

Today, there is too much airtime to fill, with the need for schedules to be filled, making it a bountiful harvest for so-so or talent-free comedy writers and performers.

True talent is struggling to get noticed amongst this sea of dross, and it is not given the chance to evolve naturally, like in the old days.

Comedy is getting increasingly desperate today, relying on shock-tactics and unpleasant characters in an attempt to bludgeon indifferent viewers into submission.

Thanks for your wisdom, Rico.

Quote: David Bussell @ February 3 2011, 4:35 PM GMT

Depends what you mean. If you mean a collection of well-structured scenes populated by relatable characters that drive funny stories that build to a satifying conclusion... then yeah.

I mean, is it blatantly obvious that the writers have thought everything through very well and spend a lot of time trying to think of good bits to put in and the director has done a good job?

Comedy now, is the worst it has ever been.
Shows like Miranda and The Trip should never get awards, and shows like Harry & Paul, Grandma's House and My Family, to name three, should never have been made.

Quote: lummycorks @ February 3 2011, 5:55 PM GMT

I mean, is it blatantly obvious that the writers have thought everything through very well and spend a lot of time trying to think of good bits to put in and the director has done a good job?

I don't know - I wasn't privy to the writing process. Frankly, I don't care if they rushed the work off in five minutes, just so long as the finished article is funny.

What is it you think makes for "clever" exactly in a sitcom?

Quote: Charlie Boy @ February 3 2011, 5:59 PM GMT

shows like Harry & Paul, Grandma's House and My Family, to name three, should never have been made.

For every one of those there's a Yus, My Dear, Come Back Mrs. Noah, Plaza Patrol or Up The Elephant And Round The Castle from yesteryear. Each one a crime against humanity.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ February 3 2011, 5:59 PM GMT

Comedy now, is the worst it has ever been.
Shows like Miranda and The Trip should never get awards, and shows like Harry & Paul, Grandma's House and My Family, to name three, should never have been made.

Thankyou Charlie Boy! Somebody thinks the same as me!

Two of those are two of my favourite comedies of the last decade.
So it's lucky Charlie Boy isn't in charge of anything. :)

I think what you mean is just that you find most shows not to your taste right now. I could name a bunch of good to great shows that have aired in the last year or so; shows like Peep Show, Louie, Parks And Recreation, The IT Crowd, Grandma's House, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Better Off Ted, Eatbound And Down, 30 Rock, Shooting Stars, Community; all good shows. Now granted, some of those are American, but for me I look at that list and see a lot of first rate comedy.

Comedy isn't a load of rubbish at all today, never go along with this sentiment. People were saying it in the 90s, despite there being classics in that decade such as One Foot In The Grave, Only Fools And Horses, Father Ted, The Thin Blue Line and Men Behaving Badly to name a few. Comedies been great over the last year as well, some fantasic shows such as The Inbetweeners, Not Going Out and Outnumbered. That also said, the last series of My Family was also very good, despite it losing its best form (inevitable considering it's lasted over 100 episodes). Also great efforts with The Old Guys and The IT Crowd.

So definitely not. People only remember the classic stuff of the sixties and seventies, which was absolute class, but there was also tosh from that era that nobody remembers as it's never repeated for that reason.

I used to subscribe to this idea that comedy was better in the good old days but now I don't.

I think the perception of "good old days" comes from one's memory of iconic shows right from say, Bilko and Hancock, to Steptoe & Son and The Likely Lads etc.

But that line continues and then takes in Only Fools and Father Ted, The Royle Family, Peep Show & The Office and continues on to contemporary shows like Outnumbered. It will doubtless stretch on far into the distant future picking up more gems along the way.

Each decade has some belters (Spike) and some awful shite. I give you by way of example the 00s. A decade that gave us yin of The Office contrasted with the yang of According To Bex.

I'm aware that the examples used to illustrate my point might have some foaming at the mouth, but I base my choices on fairly widespread popularity. With the exception of According To Bex of course which was simply just shite.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ February 3 2011, 10:31 PM GMT

I think the perception of "good old days" comes from one's memory of iconic shows right from say, Bilko and Hancock, to Steptoe & Son and The Likely Lads etc.

Comedy reached its zenith with The Phil Silvers Show, it's all been downhill since then.

To a large extent yes, I agree, there is certainly a lot, lot more lazily made, rude and crude TV comedy that hardly got aired in the past. Yes, certain shows are a poor excuse for good comedy, there is much more low comedy on TV now. The funny stuff is still funny, but the bad stuff is appalling.

I'd say there is much less mediocre TV comedy than there used to be though, much, much less. To me it seems more and more to be either pretty bad or pretty good. The 70s and 80s were full of bland formula family sitcoms. Now there are few left because there's hardly a watershed anymore (a shame), and most writers want to be doing something considered cool, not bland and safe. But unfortunately, a lot of it is quite bad.

And styles and comedy trends are copied way too much now, this is a crime, in my book. Influences and well made referenes are fine, but poorly concealed copies of other shows and shows' signature styles is a crime! I'm amazed some of them are allowed to air.

I agree 100% that most, if not all comedy shows now are rubbish. Back in the 70s, 80s and 90s, you got some great shows like Not The Nine O'Clock News, Spitting Image, Hale And Pace, Alas Smith And Jones, Who Dares Wins and Naked Video to name a few. The writing on those shows were funny and clever, whereas comedy now is, for the morst part, too crude, too repetitive and way too annoying.

Quote: His Own Devices @ February 4 2011, 12:07 AM GMT

I agree 100% that most, if not all comedy shows now are rubbish.

Do you actually watch any comedy? Or have you tried the first 2 or 3 shows that you came across and then given up?