Are You Harder Than A Ten Year Old? Page 2

Quote: billwill @ February 2 2011, 7:09 PM GMT

Nope, I'm unhappy about both parts.

Anything that might conceivable make kids think it is OK to fight with sharp objects or broken bottles is not on.

The latter part would be acceptable if it was unarmed wrestling or Judo.

Quote: billwill @ February 2 2011, 6:12 PM GMT

I see it as a sketch about child abuse and incitement to violence in children.
If you can't see that you do have a problem.

I'm not going to argue with you. You don't like it and that's ok. Though I do think encouraging grown men to wrestle with children is slightly more worrying. If you can't see that you do have a problem.

Also to think that people would take this as an incitement to harm a child is a bit naive. I have seen sketches on here straight after the Fritzle story, however I didn't lock my Daughter in my basement and father children with her. It's common sense. If you can't separate fiction from reality then you need to stop watching TV.

Anyway. Enough

Quote: bushbaby @ February 2 2011, 9:14 PM GMT

Yes, well, they banned Tom and Jerry here, didn't they?

Not that I'm aware of.

It's outdated to write parts for blacks???????? :O

Is it outdated to say 'blacks'? It sounds wrong to me. It's black people, surely?

Quote: billwill @ February 2 2011, 12:55 PM GMT

Child abuse is not really an acceptable topic for humour.

So when Terry Jones (as Mandy) slaps the infant Brian in Monty Python's Life of Brian, that's unacceptable? What about the long-running Viz comic strip Biffa Bacon, where the main character is invariably beaten to a pulp by his parents? Or when Peter Cook kicks a little girl down a cellar in Yellowbeard? Or numerous episodes of South Park where children are abused? Or The Goon Show, where Bluebottle is routinely killed? Or when Cook and Moore joked about school masters beating boys? Or The Goodies episode War Babies?

Quote: wayne lewis @ February 2 2011, 5:36 PM GMT

I agree the ending is a bit weak.

A bit obvious, but perhaps Hugh Grant could walk on, with an exaggerated erection, declaring: "I'm harder than a 10 year old."

Quote: Ben @ February 2 2011, 9:43 PM GMT

Not that I'm aware of.

Is it outdated to say 'blacks'? It sounds wrong to me. It's black people, surely?

Oh, ok, I stand corrected. I'll say again, I have a black brother-in-law in the West Indies and consequently a mixed race niece!! I've never been, never will be a racist ever

Its a passable idea for a very quick slap in the face shock sketch

But your version is just very long and mean spirited without much wit and you hammer the punchline over and over

If you don't have confidence in your material why write it?

Quote: bushbaby @ February 2 2011, 9:52 PM GMT

Oh, ok, I stand corrected. I'll say again, I have a black brother-in-law in the West Indies and consequently a mixed race niece!! I've never been, never will be a racist ever

I wasn't saying you were racist. "Blacks" just seems an odd term to me for some reason.

Quote: sootyj @ February 2 2011, 9:54 PM GMT

If you don't have confidence in your material why write it?

Explain please?

It is long, granted. As for lacking wit, it wasn't written to be witty and charming or indeed subtle. You SootyJ should know about writing with a lack of wit and subltey surely?

I don't think I used terms wit or subtelty

I use economy and brutality.

Sounds like you need to read some more of my stuff...you might learn something.

As the mother of 2 sons, I still find this bloody funny - it' s just along the lines of how children can be wee monsters at times. Child abuse didn't even cross my mind when I read it. I think some of you are being far too po-faced. But the ending needs fixed. And does anybody remember the angelic wee girl on the pink bike in 'Chewin the Fat'?
P.S. So far nobody who knows me has ever suggested I need a psychiatrist.

You can get away with anythingthat's funny

Quote: sootyj @ February 2 2011, 10:03 PM GMT

I don't think I used terms wit or subtelty

I use economy and brutality.

Sounds like you need to read some more of my stuff...you might learn something.

I've tried, but I get bored easily. Though thank you for the constructive critism. Always appreciated.

Quote: Ben @ February 2 2011, 9:43 PM GMT

Not that I'm aware of.

Yes about 20 years back, the PC lot banned it, deemed too violent for children

Alot of this is how the visuals are done; if you used dummies that obviously weren't children then people might not be as outraged. Probably have the kid win first to avoid accusations of condoning child abuse. Anyway, it's comedy folks!

Quote: bushbaby @ February 2 2011, 10:17 PM GMT

Yes about 20 years back, the PC lot banned it, deemed too violent for children

Really? I used to watch it on TV when I was a wee kid back then.

Quote: wayne lewis @ February 2 2011, 10:16 PM GMT

I've tried, but I get bored easily. Though thank you for the constructive critism. Always appreciated.

Too easily, you have my sympathy

It's outdated to write parts for blacks???????? :O

Yes, well, they banned Tom and Jerry here, didn't they?

In the 60s there was a censored version wher they were chums