Sitcom content

Hey, I'm new to comedy writing and have written a script but there are one or two jokes in it where I have mentioned a TV show or famous actor or famous singer in the dialogue...is there any problems doing this? should this be avoided and if so why?

Well, the only worry would be that, if it is a current pop culture thing, then the reference will date quickly.

Pretty much every sitcom does it from time to time. Even if you want to have an entire episode shredding a celebrity/show/religion apart, South Park have done it loads of times.

Quote: Olly @ September 26 2010, 6:34 PM BST

Hey, I'm new to comedy writing and have written a script but there are one or two jokes in it where I have mentioned a TV show or famous actor or famous singer in the dialogue...is there any problems doing this? should this be avoided and if so why?

You don't mention which star, though? Who are you referring to? Arthur Askey? Gracie Fields? And which show? The Billy Cotton Band Show by any chance? If so, yes it should be avoided...

If the show has potential to be broadcast internationaly and the personalities mentioned are known only in the UK then it may be a problem.
Don't worry about it, small details like that won't deter a reader whoever that may be, from judging your script on the rest of the content, characters, plot, blah , blah etc.... It won't be filed under 'bin' just on the basis of the couple of jokes that didn't quite work.

There's no problem at all doing that.

If the references are funny now, that's great.

If they've dated by the time the show is produced, they can be swapped for similar up-to-date references.

It's actually not as good idea. TV is a small world. Particularly if the person is the butt of a joke. Anyway.. it is generally advised against.

Hey, I'm new to comedy writing and have written a script but there are one or two jokes in it...

Well, you're ahead of the rest of the pack already.
Send it off, for God's sake - we could do with something decent on the telly.

No problem with cultural references, but if you are a wannabee and you go making jokes about how unfunny a much loved comedy institution is, then you had better be damned sure you are hilarious.

Wise words from Marc P and Timbo about making programs and celebs the butt of jokes in a script.

Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!

Having said that, the original question was not about making them the butt of jokes: it was about 'mentioning' them and such a mention (in either a neutral or a positive context) is by no means uncommon in a successful sitcom.

My new script takes a viciously satirical stab at Katie Price a.k.a Jordan - and I don't care what how angry it makes "the suits" or "the Establishment"! Cool

She's very pretty in real life

If only she existed in real life.

Quote: Marc P @ October 2 2010, 11:30 PM BST

She's very pretty in real life

To misquote Bernard Black:

"She has the cold, dead eyes of a killer."

"Whore will have their trinkets..."