Does my song(s) have stage potential?

Just wanted some advice on wether people think any of my songs (potentially after being edited, slowed down and/or cut a bit) have potential to be taken to the stage.

I have been performing standup comedy since 2007 (although last year due to uni not as much as I would have liked), and during that time it has gone pretty well as I have MC'd and opened for various gigs around the country. Just wondering if anyone thinks any of my songs, which can all be found on my YouTube, have stage potential.

Any constructive advice appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdxX6k-1Z6g (my latest song)

and www.youtube.com/comedyilr
for the rest... cheers.

Cheers.

Ian

Quote: eLRo @ September 16 2010, 2:17 PM BST

Just wanted some advice on wether people think any of my songs (potentially after being edited, slowed down and/or cut a bit) have potential to be taken to the stage.

I have been performing standup comedy since 2007 (although last year due to uni not as much as I would have liked), and during that time it has gone pretty well as I have MC'd and opened for various gigs around the country. Just wondering if anyone thinks any of my songs, which can all be found on my YouTube, have stage potential.

Any constructive advice appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdxX6k-1Z6g (my latest song)

and www.youtube.com/comedyilr
for the rest... cheers.

Cheers.

Ian

Hey Ian, I checked out the builders song - it's very well observed and I laughed quite hard in several places. I think to work on stage it would have to be re-worked as the original has a very well produced backing track, and I think you're right that it would have to be shorter to work well as part of a stand-up comedy set. Reworked songs can be fantastic - Flight of the Conchords have done an excellent job of this when translating the well produced tracks from their TV show into rawer acoustic live versions.

Was the bit with the well-spoken guy a nod to 'The Irony of It All' by the Streets? I think if I didn't know this I would have found that part hilarious - it was funny anyway but maybe not as funny on first listen as my instinctive reaction was that it had been done. I loved the autotune Derulo pisstake at the end. Overall I think this definitely does have potential to work onstage, but when you do songs as part of a stand-up set it's all in the delivery.

Cool, yeah I have heard the irony of it all by the streets years ago and did love it actually.

But I didn't include the liberal part as a direct influence of that, I wrote another song (also on my YouTube) about the various different types of cannabis smokers, and kind of came up with this liberal character for that, and just thought he'd show a nice contrast from the right wing fascist c**t of a builder...

As far as the backing track, I produce (and have friends who produce much better quality) instrumentals for my music, so surely it would be easily enough to just hook them up to the sound system (at anywhere that has the facilities obviously).

Anyway, great response, appreciate the advice!

Quote: eLRo @ September 16 2010, 2:38 PM BST

Cool, yeah I have heard the irony of it all by the streets years ago and did love it actually.

But I didn't include the liberal part as a direct influence of that, I wrote another song (also on my YouTube) about the various different types of cannabis smokers, and kind of came up with this liberal character for that, and just thought he'd show a nice contrast from the right wing fascist c**t of a builder...

As far as the backing track, I produce (and have friends who produce much better quality) instrumentals for my music, so surely it would be easily enough to just hook them up to the sound system (at anywhere that has the facilities obviously).

Anyway, great response, appreciate the advice!

Yeah, if the facilities are there you could certainly use the backing track. Haha, you clearly have some strong views on the stereotypical builders. Myself and a friend have two lorry driver characters who are quite similar to the folks in your vid. It's not a good idea to be in character in a public place where you don't know many people though, as we found out recently - got lots of extremely uncomfortable looks!

I'll check out your other songs soon as well. I always think it's best to digest such things in manageable portions to be able to give the best feedback.