Rip off or not?

Hi everyone, just want to see what you think of something that's been bothering me. Basically I'm writing (my first) sitcom at the moment and some of the comedy and conflict is based around an overbearing Italian grandmother and her grandson in his 20s. I was just wondering will this be seen as a rip off of Everybody Loves Raymond? Neither characters resemble Ray or Marie in any way apart from what I've just mentioned, they are the only two family memebers and there are other charecters with their own problems etc that are completely different from Everyone Loves Raymond. I suppose I could change the nationality but I really like the idea of them being Italian, and a lot of it is set in a Italian restaurant bistro (it's hard to explain why it's important without explaining loads more, and I don't want to reveal too much at this stage). I know myself it's not a rip off, I wasn't thinking of Ray and Marie when I thought of the characters and it's only part of a bigger picture and there's so much more going on, but will others think it is? Also; at what stage does something become a rip off? ie will anything set in a hotel be considered a Fawlty Towers imitation? Just would like to know what people think. Thanks.

It's fine, go nuts. Not that it matters but presumably your Italians are going to be Anglo-Italian anyway.

I like Everybody Loves Raymond.

But I thought the family were Jewish.

Boy am I dumb.

I looove Everybody Loves Raymond.
Your project doesn't sound like a rip off to me, benno. Don't even worry about it.

thanks for everyones replys so far! :D

Quote: sootyj @ August 31 2010, 10:21 AM BST

I like Everybody Loves Raymond.

But I thought the family were Jewish.

Boy am I dumbo's love thing.

No wonder your sphincter is so wide you had a drawstring put in.