Space: Would you go?

I heard old Richard Branson interviewed on the radio the other day and he was talking about Virgin Galatic.

Okay it's going to cost a fortune. But, given the chance would you go?

I'd like to, but flying scares me senseless so I doubt it.

No effing way.
The profound awesomeness would not outweigh the likely death.

Absolutely.

i work there, dead boring all that dark matter

I went on that space simulator at Disney in Florida a couple of times and enjoyed it so count me as a yes 9as long as when I landed there wasn't a gift shop I had to walk through).

Quote: zooo @ August 29 2010, 10:05 PM BST

No effing way.
The profound awesomeness would not outweigh the likely death.

I turned down the Virgin credit card for exactly the same reason.

Not me. Although I naturally applaud the courage of our space-explorers, I still reckon that deep down they must be (very intelligent and brave) idiots.
It's weird how we sit, mouths-agape at the moronic antics of the likes of the Jackass cast, as if falling out of a shopping trolley is anywhere near as crazy as strapping yourself to a firework that weighs 4 million pounds, pointing it skyward and lighting the fuse. Even with all the technology behind it, that's basically still what you're doing. Sitting on top of a giant firework and hoping all goes well. It's an insane concept.

Although if space shuttles were ever launched from Britain half of them would be put out by drizzle. Then the astronauts would have to climb back down and write their names in the air with sparklers to appease the disappointed kids.

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 30 2010, 4:23 AM BST

....trapping yourself to a firework that weighs 4 million pounds, pointing it skyward and lighting the fuse. Even with all the technology behind it, that's basically still what you're doing.

There's a big difference; fireworks are designed to explode, spaceships are designed to *not* explode.

I love the idea of going into space, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Yes.

Not for me, ta.

Quote: Nogget @ August 30 2010, 6:34 AM BST

There's a big difference; fireworks are designed to explode, spaceships are designed to *not* explode.

I love the idea of going into space, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Yes, because space shuttles and other spacecraft NEVER explode do they?
Also, 5 percent of all astronauts who've been to space were killed in accidents either in space, on the way there, coming back, or training for it. Not to mention all the other near-misses.

Space is a jolly dangerous place.

No. I didn't even like flying to Edinburgh, so Space can f**k off.

I imagine space would be a bit like Coventry but with less concrete and more atmosphere.

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 30 2010, 12:28 PM BST

Yes, because space shuttles and other spacecraft NEVER explode do they?

Sure there are safety issues, but that doesn't mean travelling in one is like "strapping yourself to a firework that weighs 4 million pounds, pointing it skyward and lighting the fuse". I'd feel safer on a spaceship than driving through London. But there again, I'm a f**king terrible driver.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 30 2010, 12:30 PM BST

No. I didn't even like flying to Edinburgh, so Space can f**k off.

You FLEW to Edinburgh? Bastard.