BBC's New Writing Initiatives

Couldn't see these already posted here OR on writers room (although there's a link that suggests it is).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/comedy/2010/08/new-comedy-writing-initiatives.shtml

It's seems like one of those PC things. Since writers are more or less anonymous, does it really matter if it's a black person entering or a white person entering? Why do they feel the need for things like this?

To be fair they have not said that the competition is closed to non-ethnic writers, only that it should reflect reflect multi-cultural Britain.

I have been looking for somewhere to place my sitcom about the Nigerian social security fraudster, the Romanian sex-slave, and the Pakistani suicide bomber. (Every week he fails to perpetrate mass murder in an ever more unlikely and hilarious fashion.)

Quote: Timbo @ August 19 2010, 1:43 PM BST

only that it should reflect reflect multi-cultural Britain.

A reflection?

Quote: Griff @ August 19 2010, 2:21 PM BST

I don't know your background Tim but could you convincingly write a comedy reflecting the lives of (say) a Bangladeshi or Chinese family newly arrived in the UK? I certainly couldn't.

Mind you, that never seems to stop the EastEnders writers/producers!

Ah, now you're talking.

I'll use it as an opportunity to write a multi-cultural sitcom I've been meaning to write for a bit.

Quote: chipolata @ August 19 2010, 3:54 PM BST

I'll use it as an opportunity to write a multi-cultural sitcom I've been meaning to write for a bit.

Will there be a funny talking Indian involved??

Griff digs out abandoned script on Tanzanian cannibals who eat Albinos

Albino soup for the soul?

Quote: Griff @ August 19 2010, 2:21 PM BST

I don't know your background Tim but could you convincingly write a comedy reflecting the lives of (say) a Bangladeshi or Chinese family newly arrived in the UK? I certainly couldn't.

You mean the Bangladeshi or Chinese family who've just come from over from their own country, and are misunderstood by all their neighbours with hilarious results?

Unimpressed

I'll let you know.

It's political correctness gone mad!! :O

I'm looking forward to Alfred J Kipper's official reaction.

I bet Jew are.

Hahahahahahahahahaah.

Quote: Griff @ August 19 2010, 4:52 PM BST

No, I mean a good script. If you can write one of those which reflects multi-cultural Britain then the prize is yours.

You seem to be implying that the BBC shouldn't be looking for scripts which do this. Why?

Shouldn't a script set in London (or similar big city) reflect multi-cultural life as a matter of course?

Also, what about the other opportunity mentioned there?