Seinfeld vs Arrested Development

Seinfeld all the way for me. A decade plus after its final episode we're still quoting multiple lines from Seinfeld on a regular basis. No other show has really been able to do that. George and Kramer especailly are genius.

Sometimes I'd start to laugh hysterically into myself when some Seinfeld moment pops into my head for whatever reason.

Last time I recalled the scene in which the mohel was bitching on Elaine about putting the glass on the edge of the table. Or the one in which Kramer goes to watch a film with a cafe latte hidden down his trousers and the guy is like "Do you have one of those caffe lattes hidden in your pants?" That was really too funny. A lot of George moments obviously too (he has most of the best lines).

I've watched Seinfeld episodes more times than I can count and for the most part they still keep their integrity. I just didn't get near that level of 'buzz' at all with what I tried of AD.

I'd pick Seinfeld here no contest if forced to watch just one of these shows ever again. It's pretty much the absolute pinnacle of the sitcom as far as I am concerned and have great rewatchability.

Which do you prefer (if any at all)?

Quote: Jackson Neil @ July 21 2009, 1:05 PM BST

Sometimes I'd start to laugh hysterically into myself when some Seinfeld moment pops into my head for whatever reason.

You want to watch that.

As to your broader question, I prefer Arrested Development. I'm just watching the first season again on DVD and it feels as fresh and funny as ever. And Gob must be one of the greatest sitcom characters ever.

I like Seinfeld, just don't love it.

Quote: chipolata @ July 21 2009, 1:30 PM BST

As to your broader question, I prefer Arrested Development. I'm just watching the first season again on DVD and it feels as fresh and funny as ever. And Gob must be one of the greatest sitcom characters ever.

I like Seinfeld, just don't love it.

Fair do's each to their own, mate.

They're my two favourite American Sitcoms, and both would feature in my personal top 5 sitcoms of all time. If I had to make a choice, then I'd go for Seinfeld. But AD is superb.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 21 2009, 1:43 PM BST

They're my two favourite American Sitcoms, and both would feature in my personal top 5 sitcoms of all time. If I had to make a choice, then I'd go for Seinfeld. But AD is superb.

Seinfeld and Curb are my top 2 US sitcoms.

bump

Well then people, what are your thoughts?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 21 2009, 5:43 PM BST

Also, why are you trying to put the two up against each other?

Seinfeld is good, but Arrested Development is exponentially better.

Quote: James BradburyHarding @ July 31 2010, 12:20 PM BST

Seinfeld is good,

Fail. :D

Are they both supposed to be similarish, are they just what you consider to be the two best yankcoms? Have seen too little of either to know, but the one episode I did watch of Seinfeld has left me completely bewildered at why some people continually insist on calling it the greatest sitcom ever. Objectivity is often the first casualty when folk are on one of their 'This is the best ever...' missions.

Personally I would ban all best prog exaltations, unless they can be backed up by scientific evidence, or are about Fawlty Towers, the true best sitcom ever. Good afternoon.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ July 31 2010, 12:48 PM BST

Objectivity is often the first casualty when folk are on one of their 'This is the best ever...' missions.

If so many people do put it up there as one of the best, have you ever thought that there may be a reason behind that?

Obviously a lot of people won't like it though, like every comedy. These people should be made to watch nothing but My Family for the rest of their miserable lives.

I've always thought AD was slightly overrated. I really like it, and I appreciate the quality of the writing (the analrapist card is a particular fav), but it doesn't come close to Seinfeld for laughs per episode.

Gerry is getting angry.

I have all of AD on DVD but I've never watched an episode. :O

I'll get around to it one of these days, but it'll have a mighty struggle to top Seinfeld.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ July 31 2010, 1:23 PM BST

I've always thought AD was slightly overrated. I like it, and I appreciate the quality of the writing (the analrapist card is a particular fav), but it doesn't come close to Seinfeld for laughs per episode.

Exactly this.

Quote: James BradburyHarding @ July 31 2010, 12:20 PM BST

Seinfeld is good, but Arrested Development is exponentially better.

No chance. Seinfeld is the superior show. End of.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 31 2010, 12:53 PM BST

Obviously a lot of people won't like it though, like every comedy. These people should be made to watch nothing but My Family for the rest of their miserable lives.

Even that's too kind on them. Forcing them to watch Bottle Boys is a far more suitable punishment. :D

I've recently started watching Seinfeld and while I do like it, I'm struggling to see why its held as one of the greats of all time. It does have the occasional moment of genius, but for the most part its just standard American studio sitcom stuff.

I am only up to season 5 though, so unless it gets a hell of a lot better after that, my vote goes to Arrested Development because its one of the only shows I have ever seen that can make me fully belly laugh with almost every episode.