Do you call yourself a writer? Page 7

I always used to call myself a copywriter but that invariably provoked blank looks so I just call myself a writer now. And then the question always comes "Oh right! Journalist? Novelist?" and that's when I have to sheepishly say "Greeting cards actually".
Nah that's not really true, I ain't ashamed of my job. A bit weatherworn maybe but not ashamed.

Do people ever crack a joke to you about writing greeting cards? Are there any jokes about greeting cards?

Quote: Lee Henman @ July 14 2010, 8:42 PM BST

I always used to call myself a copywriter but that invariably provoked blank looks so I just call myself a writer now. And then the question always comes "Oh right! Journalist? Novelist?" and that's when I have to sheepishly say "Greeting cards actually".
Nah that's not really true, I ain't ashamed of my job. A bit weatherworn maybe but not ashamed.

I like your job! I was telling my mum about it in WHS and found one of yours to show her. She was impressed too.
So that's two people. ;)

Quote: zooo @ July 14 2010, 9:10 PM BST

I like your job! I was telling my mum about it in WHS and found one of yours to show her. She was impressed too.
So that's two people. ;)

How do you know which one's are Lee's? Are they covered in Parmo grease? ;)

They have the writer's name on the back!
Which is cool.

That's pretty good; had never noticed.

Quote: Lee Henman @ July 14 2010, 8:42 PM BST

What sort do you write Lee, funny or serious ones and how long have you been doing it?

I tried bereavment cards for people you disliked

Roses are Dead
Now your turning blue
I f**ked your wife
Now I'll f**k you

Quote: David Bussell @ July 14 2010, 4:01 PM BST

If he's making money he's making money, right? Personally, I don't know how a writer with no major credit goes about making money through a personal website - I wouldn't even believe it were possible in fact - but Mikey's out there proving me wrong!

I made my living as a writer for three years. I wrote reports all day, thousands of them! 100,000's of words... but was that being a writer?

That's why I call myself a binman, it describes my writing achievements far more accurately! ;)

Quote: zooo @ July 14 2010, 9:10 PM BST

So that's two people. ;)

Aw that's kind of you to say. :) Good old WHSmith!

Quote: Will Cam @ July 14 2010, 9:21 PM BST

What sort do you write Lee, funny or serious ones and how long have you been doing it?

Mainly funny - but I've been known to write for "inspirational" ranges too - sloppy poems, sentiments etc. But I mainly write the gags. This is my 15th year as a greetings card gag writer. God that makes me sound old!

Quote: Ben @ July 14 2010, 8:55 PM BST

Do people ever crack a joke to you about writing greeting cards? Are there any jokes about greeting cards?

People are usually pretty positive about it really. Although I've had a bit of ribbing from "real" comedy writers, but it's always been in good fun. Truth is I'm very grateful to have made a living for all this time by selling jokes to the public. Always gratifying to know your stuff's still being bought en masse by people in the shops. (Wish I was a few pence behind the publishers! :))It's still a huge compliment though. TV still tugs at my writing heartstrings ...maybe one day. Teary

Quote: sootyj @ July 14 2010, 9:24 PM BST

I tried bereavment cards for people you disliked

Roses are Dead
Now your turning blue
I f**ked your wife
Now I'll f**k you

It's a beautiful idea Soots. You'll be glad to hear I just sold it to Hallmark's "Necro-Valentine Sentiments" range. The card will include an audio chip that plays the sound of a mortuary assistant's excited heartbeat, plus a tube of KY Jelly being slowly unscrewed by trembling fingers.

Quote: Lee Henman @ July 15 2010, 1:14 AM BST

It's a beautiful idea Soots. You'll be glad to hear I just sold it to Hallmark's "Necro-Valentine Sentiments" range. The card will include an audio chip that plays the sound of a mortuary assistant's excited heartbeat, plus a tube of KY Jelly being slowly unscrewed by trembling fingers.

I couldn't help visualising that. I WAS eating my porridge! Thanks for sharing!Errr

Quote: Lee Henman @ July 15 2010, 1:14 AM BST

Great when do I get my cut?

Quote: Frankie Rage @ July 15 2010, 7:47 AM BST

I couldn't help visualising that. I WAS eating my porridge! Thanks for sharing!Errr

Mmm stirring cold porridge.

:O

Quote: Frankie Rage @ July 15 2010, 7:47 AM BST

:)

Quote: sootyj @ July 15 2010, 8:53 AM BST

Great when do I get my cut?

Mmm stirring cold porridge.

:D

Quote: Frankie Rage @ July 15 2010, 9:04 AM BST

:O

Laughing out loud