Backstage

This is going to take a battering I am sure but I just wanted to get the views and ratings moving, so check this out and rate please lol :)

many thanks

Dan

http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/ec1cc86581/backstage

and the point of this is....?

to get a bit of feedback :) many thanks, um Empty

I rated funny, obviously.

Quote: James Cotter @ April 7 2010, 9:04 PM BST

I rated funny, obviously.

many thanks James :)

Quote: Dan Pearce @ April 7 2010, 9:00 PM BST

to get a bit of feedback :) many thanks, um Empty

Well, it's just a very long, poor re-tread of The Office, copying the gags. Did you feel there was a need for this? You had fun, playing your hero, but why subject everyone else to this self pleasuring? Why not go on stage and copy Animals? I think you know why, cos you'd be crucified, so why do you feel happier copying Gervais just cos the audience isn't vocal and in the room?

Incredibly weak material. There is generally an unspoken rule amongst comedians not to steal or mimic others work. So how do you expect this student production to fare amongst your forum peers?

Thin to a quantum level.

Quote: Empty @ April 7 2010, 9:05 PM BST

Well, it's just a very long, poor re-tread of The Office, copying the gags. Did you feel there was a need for this? You had fun, playing your hero, but why subject everyone else to this self pleasuring? Why not go on stage and copy Animals? I think you know why, cos you'd be crucified, so why do you feel happier copying Gervais just cos the audience isn't vocal and in the room?

Incredibly weak material. There is generally an unspoken rule amongst comedians not to steal or mimic others work. So how do you expect this student production to fare amongst your forum peers?

Thin to a quantum level.

Firstly I must point out that this is a very old project, about two and a half years old now, I had just turned 17 so this was part of my early development.

I felt that this helped my early development, everyone mimics somebody they aspire to be like in their first productions, and then you stamp your own authority on things as you go along, I didn't completely mimic The Office, only the character of 'David Brent' which I clearly point out within the first few seconds of the film. I felt happy copying Gervais as like I said before this is an old project and I never try to say that I have created this and this is my own work etc. I do understand what you mean but this was a character that believed David Brent was real and aspired to become him, which again I pointed out maybe I should have called it 'If we were all Brent' or something along those lines but I didn't believe there was a need to point out the obvious.

Thanks for your feedback, but I wasn't saying this is me, this is all I make this was me mearly re releasing a two and a half year old project to see if people still enjoy something I made as a 17 year old. I am older and much wiser now and working on a sitcom Pilot of a sitcom I have created. So we all live and learn very well from mimicing in our earlier years :)

Dan

Quote: Dan Pearce @ April 7 2010, 9:16 PM BST

Firstly I must point out that this is a very old project, about two and a half years old now, I had just turned 17 so this was part of my early development.

I felt that this helped my early development, everyone mimics somebody they aspire to be like in their first productions, and then you stamp your own authority on things as you go along, I didn't completely mimic The Office, only the character of 'David Brent' which I clearly point out within the first few seconds of the film. I felt happy copying Gervais as like I said before this is an old project and I never try to say that I have created this and this is my own work etc. I do understand what you mean but this was a character that believed David Brent was real and aspired to become him, which again I pointed out maybe I should have called it 'If we were all Brent' or something along those lines but I didn't believe there was a need to point out the obvious.

Thanks for your feedback, but I wasn't saying this is me, this is all I make this was me mearly re releasing a two and a half year old project to see if people still enjoy something I made as a 17 year old. I am older and much wiser now and working on a sitcom Pilot of a sitcom I have created. So we all live and learn very well from mimicing in our earlier years :)

Dan

No, this was terrible. If you're not proud of it, don't post it - what's the point - as you say you've moved on. Were you hoping people would say "you shouldn't move on, you should do more of this!!!" No.

I can't decide if you encourage Cotter to turn out drek, or whether he goads you, or whether you both are of the same mind that copying = personal achievement. I have seen nothing original or interesting from either of you, though I long to.

I repeat, if you're not proud, don't boast: and posting is boasting.

Doubtless Marc P will be along soon to edit your "showreel" and tell you you're brilliant. If you really believe any of the work you and Cotter have posted so far opens the door for you, good luck to you. The point is, you have tons of facilities on your doorstep and really could be doing good stuff. Like decent pilots.

Instead, you're behaving like ten year olds and blaming it on being teenagers. Loads of teenagers are out there in the biz already making their mark. They never mention their age, they just get on with creating decent material and creating their own original material. You'll look back and rue the day you squandered your chances, but you won't listen to me yet...

Quote: Empty @ April 7 2010, 9:27 PM BST

No, this was terrible. If you're not proud of it, don't post it - what's the point - as you say you've moved on. Were you hoping people would say "you shouldn't move on, you should do more of this!!!" No.

I can't decide if you encourage Cotter to turn out drek, or whether he goads you, or whether you both are of the same mind that copying = personal achievement. I have seen nothing original or interesting from either of you, though I long to.

I repeat, if you're not proud, don't boast: and posting is boasting.

Doubtless Marc P will be along soon to edit your "showreel" and tell you you're brilliant. If you really believe any of the work you and Cotter have posted so far opens the door for you, good luck to you. The point is, you have tons of facilities on your doorstep and really could be doing good stuff. Like decent pilots.

Instead, you're behaving like ten year olds and blaming it on being teenagers. Loads of teenagers are out there in the biz already making their mark. They never mention their age, they just get on with creating decent material and creating their own original material. You'll look back and rue the day you squandered your chances, but you won't listen to me yet...

I never said I wasn't proud? as my first production this was good, I am happy that this is my starting marker thank you very much,
I havn't blamed anything on me not making my mark as of yet, I just believe in the Pilot that we ARE making as we speak, and I believe that this will get us noticed in out own right as performers.

I don't know any Marc P? but if he comes along, I will welcome him as I welcome anybodies feedback,

many thanks for all of the above though, it isn't in one ear well eye and out of the other, but I do feel that some of your points made are awfully wide of the mark,

but as I said, Many thanks,

Dan.

First of all I think it is a mistake to rake up something so old as this as you know what these lot are like and to be honest it's fair enough though saying that I think overall it's a pretty good piece. I loved the Nick sequence. "What are these about a D?". Although you sounded Australian during the first talking head. The outside sequence had a lot of potential with Steve to go up to the band properly and interact a bit more with them but it was nice to get out of the studio. The scene with the executive producer was good. Some good acting from James Matthew-Stroud. Damon's talking head was very well performed, he's a good actor. The end talking always confuses me some what with Steve seemingly completely shrugging of what's just happened I think it could be played better if he showed a certain lack of regret for his actions.

I think it's a good starting piece but we need to see more of you especially in other roles as your good comic actor. I know you've always got a lot of good ideas but you need to act on them more.

Quote: Empty @ April 7 2010, 9:27 PM BST

:O Nothing original?

I don't even know why I'm being bought in to it. It's about Dan not me.

Quote: James Cotter @ April 7 2010, 9:53 PM BST

First of all I think it is a mistake to rake up something so old as this as you know what these lot are like and to be honest it's fair enough though saying that I think overall it's a pretty good piece. I loved the Nick sequence. "What are these about a D?". Although you sounded Australian during the first talking head. The outside sequence had a lot of potential with Steve to go up to the band properly and interact a bit more with them but it was nice to get out of the studio. The scene with the executive producer was good. Some good acting from James Matthew-Stroud. Damon's talking head was very well performed, he's a good actor. The end talking always confuses me some what with Steve seemingly completely shrugging of what's just happened I think it could be played better if he showed a certain lack of regret for his actions.

I think it's a good starting piece but we need to see more of you especially in other roles as your good comic actor. I know you've always got a lot of good ideas but you need to act on them more.

:O Nothing original?

I don't even know why I'm being bought in to it. It's about Dan not me.

Because you two have been, and will again be a duo. And the symptoms of ego versus talent are identical. Keep up.

Quote: Dan Pearce @ April 7 2010, 9:36 PM BST

I never said I wasn't proud? as my first production this was good, I am happy that this is my starting marker thank you very much,
I havn't blamed anything on me not making my mark as of yet, I just believe in the Pilot that we ARE making as we speak, and I believe that this will get us noticed in out own right as performers.

I don't know any Marc P? but if he comes along, I will welcome him as I welcome anybodies feedback,

many thanks for all of the above though, it isn't in one ear well eye and out of the other, but I do feel that some of your points made are awfully wide of the mark,

but as I said, Many thanks,

Dan.

I'm wide of the mark? Fine... Off you go. Do as you see fit. You don't need people like me after all.

Quote: Empty @ April 7 2010, 10:09 PM BST

Because you two have been, and will again be a duo. And the symptoms of ego versus talent are identical. Keep up.

A duo? What the hell are you on about? We both have made many things separately and will continue to do so that is why I don't like being bought in to this. What Dan does outside the partnership is up to him. He ses's my individual work when you seen my individual work we don't work on everything together.

Quote: James Cotter @ April 7 2010, 10:14 PM BST

A duo? What the hell are you on about? We both have made many things separately and will continue to do so that is why I don't like being bought in to this. What Dan does outside the partnership is up to him. He ses's my individual work when you seen my individual work we don't work on everything together.

Didn't say you COULDN'T work separately, just that you have worked together quite a bit, and have clearly "rubbed off" on each other. I'm not sure in a good way. Your last sentence doesn't make sense so I can't comment.

Well of course we could work separately but what I'm saying is we do a lot of the time. We've worked together a bit because we are friends and like the same type of comedy. My last sentence does make sense. What I was saying is a lot of the time I make new projects and you lot see it before Dan even knows I've making it we are very much separate when not working on projects you already know of.

Quote: Empty @ April 7 2010, 10:16 PM BST

Didn't say you COULDN'T work separately, just that you have worked together quite a bit, and have clearly "rubbed off" on each other. I'm not sure in a good way. Your last sentence doesn't make sense so I can't comment.

I think that the fact we have worked together does show within our work a little but I feel the effect is a positive one, as do many others, but like James said we work seperately all of the time and together once in a blue moon in the grand scheme of things